Jestersix

Convert tank from center overflow to corner overflow?

bluetang_2000

Supporting Member
I am now planning to take all the sand out from the 120g tank and go bb. The tank has one drain and a diy center overflow box from the previous owner. Is it possible to convert it from center to corner overflow by patching the hole, redrill a new one and new overflow box? Really don't like the center overflow since it takes up too much space and hard to aquascape. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Aquarium001.jpg

Bluetang

How do you remove the old overflow box? Are you planning to cut it or something? If so, wouldn't that leave an ugly scar?

There is a really nice 125 gallon tank at Ocean Treasures Aquarium right now with a corner overflow on the right rear side black back. I was going to build it into my wall but I am going bigger.
It never has seen water yet.
I'm sure Derek would give you a sweet deal.

the old overflow box is only silicone to the wall, so shouldn't be that hard to remove it.

Jar, my financial manager (wife) would not let me get another tank, but thanks for the tip.

To answer your question, yes you can patch the hole, simply get a piece of acrylic of some thickness and use weldon around it and slap it down, since it does look like it's an acrylic tank.

it is acrylic. Definitely thinking about going with either corner overflow or coast to coast. Any recommendation which one I should go with?

Coast to coast external if it's an option :D

Seriously, I like the idea of coast to coast however some things to think about.

How is water going to get out of the tank, hole drilled in the back? Don't have any numbers handy but a horizontal hole allows more water to flow out of it than a sideways mounted hole.

Do you care about sound? Unless you have an external box that you can set up some sandpipe or something in it, you most likely will hear it slurping down at least a bit.

How is your return situated? Is it coming in from the top or through the back somewhere? A coast to coast restricts that high in the tank hole that your return might be. (something I figured out after the fact when I did my external :D). So might want to have partial coast to coast :D

Upside is unless you have an even bank of T5s across the whole tank it most likely won't block any light, downside is they're a little more tricky than your standard internal overflow.
How about a hybrid? Both coast to coast and corner? That way you can get the large skimming area plus you have a place to put all your plumbing and make it quiet if needed. Or like I said external... although not many people are as crazy confident as me in cutting slots in the back of a tank :)

I have a coast to coast (just about) on my cube tank, and I ended up drilling the right pane for my return :)
I don't look through that side of the tank too often at all, so I don't mind.
There is a little of slurping though -but a gate valve helps.

a coast to coast sounds pretty good with two to three 1" holes drilled in the back. The return could be coming in from the top. Now if I have the overflow box made, what is the best way to mount it in the tank? weldon or silicone would be ok?

Weldon all the way.

I'd use #16 as it's easy to work with, and less of a mess (its less fluid).

Just make sure to dry mount it with some clamps to double check EVERYTHING before you put it in, last thing you want is to mount it then realize you won't be able to clean anything out of it because it's under your tank bracing... (yeah I did that once before :D)

Back