Our mission

cool places to shoot this weekend?

hey guys,

I'll have some free time this weekend in SF.

Any suggestions for some cool places to shoot?
Please don't say Golden Gate lol.

thanks!

Hey Jonathan,

I've gone on about 6 shoots in the last two weeks to some really great places. I organize very fun and relaxed photoshoots with a group on flickr: http://flickr.com/groups/sfbas/

Checkout the group page and click "See all shoots" and you'll be able to see all the places we've gone to in the past. And on top of that you can see the photos that resulted. Those are all the places I would recommend, and the list is pretty damn long.

Let me know if you're ever down to go shooting with a group of fun amateurs (and sometimes pros).

Some recent places I've gone to:
Legion of Honor
Sutro Baths
Fort Point

[quote author=jhale link=topic=3569.msg40902#msg40902 date=1208488154]
cool thanks.

is your group doing anything this weekend?
[/quote]

I'm going down to Silicon Valley for a wildflower hike, so nothing this weekend. Keep a lookout in our flickr group discussion, we usually have something planned every other weekend.

[quote author=jhale link=topic=3569.msg40911#msg40911 date=1208492484]
thanks, good to know when I visit.
I'm still living in NY :)
[/quote]

oh I thought you were already living here. but you're visiting this weekend I suppose.

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=3569.msg40914#msg40914 date=1208495539]
Art, you coming down here for a wildflower hike? Where abouts?
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure. My mom wants me to go with her on this Hike that she signed up for. http://siliconvalleylc.org/

The coast is going crazy with the flowers, HMB is one of the largest producers of cut flowers in the world. We have fields of 'em all different colors. I know nothing of flowers so I can't tell you what kinds, sunflowers and daisies are about all I can identify.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=3569.msg40996#msg40996 date=1208547229]
The coast is going crazy with the flowers, HMB is one of the largest producers of cut flowers in the world. We have fields of 'em all different colors. I know nothing of flowers so I can't tell you what kinds, sunflowers and daisies are about all I can identify.
[/quote]

That probably explains why I can barely breathe lately..My allergies are going nuts!

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=3569.msg41006#msg41006 date=1208551292]
Maybe it's the Checkmate
[/quote]

Lasting effects from the last spray :D

I should update this thread and let you know what I did:)
I ended up going to the conservatory of flowers on saturday, I had a good time shooting there.
I still have to get some of them online they came out real nice.
On Sunday I did a shoot with a local actress/model.
We shot in a really sweet loft in a new building in the downtown area.
anyone who is offended by semi-nudity don't open this link
http://jonathanhale.com/jen%20kendall%20edit/index.html

[quote author=jhale link=topic=3569.msg42750#msg42750 date=1210356558]
I should update this thread and let you know what I did:)
I ended up going to the conservatory of flowers on saturday, I had a good time shooting there.
I still have to get some of them online they came out real nice.
On Sunday I did a shoot with a local actress/model.
We shot in a really sweet loft in a new building in the downtown area.
anyone who is offended by semi-nudity don't open this link
http://jonathanhale.com/jen%20kendall%20edit/index.html
[/quote]

I'll look a little later, but where was the loft? I need a really modern setting for a portrait shoot coming up too, looking for ideas before booking a high priced hotel in the city =P

the loft was an apartment that belonged to the make-up artist, but she was in the middle of moving to LA.

I'd suggest the hotel Vitale, I stayed there, and I'm planning on booking a suite for a shoot I have coming up.
there is also the orchard garden hotel, my next favorite, it's a bit more earthy modern.

what about the park across from the MOMA? i forgot the name, it has some really modern looking settings.

[quote author=jhale link=topic=3569.msg42754#msg42754 date=1210357668]
the loft was an apartment that belonged to the make-up artist, but she was in the middle of moving to LA.

I'd suggest the hotel Vitale, I stayed there, and I'm planning on booking a suite for a shoot I have coming up.
there is also the orchard garden hotel, my next favorite, it's a bit more earthy modern.

what about the park across from the MOMA? i forgot the name, it has some really modern looking settings.
[/quote]

Cool, please let me know how Vitale works out for you. I'll look into it as well.

Yerba Buena park (the one across from MOMA) is definitely modern, so are places like De Young Memorial Museum in golden gate park amongst some others. I will be doing some stuff there, but I am going to be doing an indoor modern shoot so looking for some neat indoor locations at the moment. I'm going to try to get away with using only two off camera flashes and a reflector rather than a full umbrella / softbox / strobe setup =) Hope it comes out. I want to give it less of a studio look, more of a journalistic natural lighting feel.

this is a slide show from the conservatory
http://jonathanhaledesign.com/conservatory/index.html
I could not pick my favorite to post, so I'll just post the above link :)
admission is only $5 :)

[quote author=jhale link=topic=3569.msg42777#msg42777 date=1210368020]
yeah I need to do that one of these days :p till then there's photoshop :D
[/quote] bandaid / clone tool to the rescue!

Back