Kessil

coral dip and bleaching

Do you guys drip acclimate before dipping, after dipping, or don't acclimate?

I didn't acclimate, and I think that might be why some of mine (the mycedium and monti cap) didn't fare well.

I don't acclimate at all. Just mix iodine in the container the frag was in. Leave for 15 mins, turkey baste and rinse and put into my tank. I have a feeling that people are having trouble b/c some frags might have been fresh cuts.

My barbaric process

1) open all containers.
2) combine frags into 2-3 of the larger containers instead of dealing with a dozen small ones
3) squirt providone directly into the container (off to the side) and use a baster to mix. add more providone if it doesn't look dark enough
4) let sit for a time which is directly related to my laziness.
5) select a coral (monties, then SPS, then LPS, then zoas) and blast it with a baster for a bit
6) quick dip in rinse water from my tank and put it into the frag tank.

No casualties or bleaching from this.
acclimation? What is that :p

[quote author=iani link=topic=4320.msg52405#msg52405 date=1218746106]
I don't acclimate at all. Just mix iodine in the container the frag was in. Leave for 15 mins, turkey baste and rinse and put into my tank. I have a feeling that people are having trouble b/c some frags might have been fresh cuts.
[/quote]

That makes me feel a little better. Other than not acclimating, I can't really identify anything I did wrong. Maybe these frags just had too rough a day.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4320.msg52408#msg52408 date=1218746634]
My barbaric process

1) open all containers.
2) combine frags into 2-3 of the larger containers instead of dealing with a dozen small ones
3) squirt providone directly into the container (off to the side) and use a baster to mix. add more providone if it doesn't look dark enough
4) let sit for a time which is directly related to my laziness.
5) select a coral (monties, then SPS, then LPS, then zoas) and blast it with a baster for a bit
6) quick dip in rinse water from my tank and put it into the frag tank.

No casualties or bleaching from this.
acclimation? What is that :p

[/quote]

I'm especially glad that you don't... since I'm pretty sure this mycedium that I was going to frag for you is... well... dead. I'm sorry. :(

[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=4320.msg52409#msg52409 date=1218746692]
[quote author=iani link=topic=4320.msg52405#msg52405 date=1218746106]
[/quote]

Just so it eases you mind a bit more, almost no wholesaler acclimates corals and very few LFS do. Swap corals have a ruff time :(

That makes me feel a little better. Other than not acclimating, I can't really identify anything I did wrong. Maybe these frags just had too rough a day.

[/quote]

I thought maybe I done something worng.. This was my first time using providone.. Do you guys have great success with it? Is this all some of you use for a sps dip?..

[quote author=DML08 link=topic=4320.msg52427#msg52427 date=1218753878]
I thought maybe I done something worng.. This was my first time using providone.. Do you guys have great success with it? Is this all some of you use for a sps dip?..
[/quote]I use it and don't have problems, I keep mostly SPS. Be patient, I've brought corals back from the brink of death, SPS are more durable than people give them credit for.

I don't do any sort of acclimation either. I figure my corals are in a tough enough time after being in little containers for quite a few hours and a nice chemical bath of povidone for 20 minute, if it can't handle the relatively "normal" conditions my tank is at then I doubt any slow drip acclimation will do it, they need water flow and need it pronto to get their whole systems working on key.

I'm almost identical to Tony in what he does, except #3 I like to pour directly onto the coral to give that initial super strength wash if there's bugs (for acros I almost exclusively do this near the base). And #6 I just use one of the other containers with clear water to give them a super quick rinse.

[quote author=MontanaBay link=topic=4320.msg52392#msg52392 date=1218742062]I'm more of a shock'n awe dipper.

[...]

My logic is this: The iodine probably won't kill the evil critters, but it will shock them (so go strong), at which point when they get blasted with the turkey baster they come off.
[/quote]

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4320.msg52444#msg52444 date=1218758720]I like to pour directly onto the coral to give that initial super strength wash if there's bugs (for acros I almost exclusively do this near the base).[/quote]

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=451.msg14040#msg14040 date=1167290631]Povidone iodine is a slow release iodine that is less stressful to corals compared to Lugol's and tinctures. Iodine requires extended contact time to work, so the slow release method is better.

[...]

Studies show that Povidone iodine solution at .1% by weight of P-I has the greatest concentration of free iodine and the greatest microbicidal effects. Free iodine decreases with higher as well as lower concentrations of P-I.
[/quote]

Don't bother with "shock and awe" if using Povidone. It's more effective to use a low concentration with extended contact time. Super strong concentration for short duration is not as effective.

Nowadays I use .5ml Povidone per 8 oz sw for light dipping.

[quote author=iani link=topic=4320.msg52396#msg52396 date=1218743660]
You are not supposed to do freshwater with iodine to dip your coral. I no longer do freshwater dips even on zoanthids anymore. It stresses them too much.
[/quote]

it does stress them, which is actually the game plan in my book, make them slime and blast with iodine, hoping it cleans their surface of any parasites.

again though, I would not keep a coral in RO/DI water for more than 5mins.

I didn't know that about providone being slower acting than Lugol's, good to know.

Cheers,

Josh

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=451.msg14040#msg14040 date=1167290631]
[/quote]

Now that's an old quote! Can you link that whole thread to that povidone discussion?

Thanks!

Josh

[quote author=Elite link=topic=4320.msg52462#msg52462 date=1218771403]
Told you Pixel.. a lot of people don't acclimate corals ;D ....
[/quote]

You're right as usual, Phong. :)

[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=4320.msg52484#msg52484 date=1218777356]
[quote author=Elite link=topic=4320.msg52462#msg52462 date=1218771403]
Told you Pixel.. a lot of people don't acclimate corals ;D ....
[/quote]

You're right as usual, Phong. :)
[/quote]
Actually it's the other way around ;D :D ..

[quote author=MontanaBay link=topic=4320.msg52454#msg52454 date=1218768894]again though, I would not keep a coral in RO/DI water for more than 5mins.[/quote]

45 seconds in fw is enough to kill montiporas. Acros won't be happy either.

[quote author=MontanaBay link=topic=4320.msg52454#msg52454 date=1218768894]it does stress them, which is actually the game plan in my book, make them slime and blast with iodine, hoping it cleans their surface of any parasites.[/quote]

If you want to slime your corals, just expose them to air for a minute or so. Some people do that for "air acclimation" before putting corals into their tanks. The slime moderates salinity and chemistry differences as it slowly clears away.

I don't bother acclimating either. I quit doing that years ago after finding out that LFS and wholesalers don't bother, as Gresham said.

[quote author=MontanaBay link=topic=4320.msg52454#msg52454 date=1218768894]I didn't know that about providone being slower acting than Lugol's, good to know.[/quote]

Povidone Iodine isn't slower acting than Lugol's Iodine, but the article may not have been perfectly clear on that.

The implication was that iodine in general is slower acting compared to other disinfectants, like bleach for example.

[quote author=MontanaBay link=topic=4320.msg52458#msg52458 date=1218769888]

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=451.msg14040#msg14040 date=1167290631]
[/quote]

Now that's an old quote! Can you link that whole thread to that povidone discussion?[/quote]

If you click on the blue text where it says "quote" etc. you jump to the original post(s).

Here's the start of that thread:

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=451.msg3913#msg3913

Glad that the swap and chemistry giveaways got some discussion going about dipping and testing etc :D

Thanks for posting all the questions and comments, folks! :D

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=4320.msg52499#msg52499 date=1218779891]
If you click on the blue text where it says "quote" etc. you jump to the original post(s).
[/quote]

haha, two years of surfing this forum and I hadn't figure that out yet?!?! :eek:

man, I need to get updated my protocols, when I first learned about dipping fw was most of what was mentioned.

Is there any write ups discussing the pro/cons/issues of fw dips? Or has it mostly evolved away from experience?

Thanks Again,

Josh

Back