got ethical husbandry?

Coral Farmers Market Feb 11th

I think I saw you buy that clam while standing right next to me! You buy it around noon? Too bad I don't know what username goes to what face! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol, I was the Chinese guy wearing an empty baby carrier. Was way too hot for the baby; wifey had to bring him outside. So that cut the visit short, but overall it was pretty fun and had good energy. I'll definitely be going to future events. We should have BAR pins we can wear to recognize each other.

Someone standing next to me was asking about getting a clam too. That wasn't you was it?

It was incredibly crowded and hot. Hopefully they will adjust for the August show. My impression was that if you weren't picking up SPS and super high end Mushrooms it was pretty normal stuff we can find at any LFS most of the time. There were a few nice Euphyliia's and probably some Zoa's I missed, but the rest was higher end stuff. However, the tables with crowds 4 and 5 deep were the ones (and there about 4 of these) were the dealers with large racks of fifteen and twenty dollar frags

My favorite was a bright yellow (brightest yellow coral I've seen) WWC Slimeball Anacropora.

It sure was hot! All the better to keep your purchases at 77F until you left :)

It was certainly crowded but at least at 12pm the line was only one person ahead when you wanted to buy.

I don't recall seeing 4 color variations of rainbow crush chalice at a LFS... I overheard a guy making a purchase ahead of me saying that he'd been waiting 6 months to buy a particular coral because it was always out of stock. Of course I did notice a few overpriced ordinary corals in the mix too.

How did that bright yellow acro look in your tank though? I bought a coral that I thought was bright yellow only to find it was ordinary green under my Kessils. Seemed like the lighting played tricks on me...

I enjoyed myself...and spent way more than I expected...mostly because I left with 16 frags and not because I bought designer corals. Steve Tyree said they had over 500 people there today. He said they will have twice the space at the next one on August 5th. It was good to put a couple of new faces to names.

Surprise! I ended up picking up too much!

I got WWC Helio acro, WWC Hippie Juice acro, fruit loop zoas, flashlight zoas, jawbreaker mushroom, a no name yellow with purple streaks mushroom.

I thought the selection wasn't too bad. But the place was definitely too small for the event. Guessing they didn't anticipate this turnout.

Lol, I was the Chinese guy wearing an empty baby carrier. Was way too hot for the baby; wifey had to bring him outside. So that cut the visit short, but overall it was pretty fun and had good energy. I'll definitely be going to future events. We should have BAR pins we can wear to recognize each other.

Someone standing next to me was asking about getting a clam too. That wasn't you was it?

Nope. Not me then. I want a clam, but I don't think I have the room. Too many coral....must...stop...buying.

I'm officially in grow out mode! ;)

I thought they said you can write your name on the raffle. Didn't know you have to be present.

are you sure?
they told me to write a letter on the back of my tickets and sign the sheet stating my "letter" and i would be contacted if i won anything.
that's a bummer, if they went back on what they said.
I'm just going by what the website said. Maybe he changed the policy.

Don't worry, there was no need to be there for the raffle if you won for everything except the VW Reefs gift card. There was only one prize that was unclaimed and that was the frag supply pack, Steve should contact whomever won.

I had lot of fun. Lots of vendors. Early hours was bit packed with people. But thats a good problem to have I think, next time having bigger space would certainly make things awesome.
I too ended up buying couple of cheap zoa & palys. Mostly because I am ramping up my Fluval Spec II with zoas & palys.

I noticed once vendor who had this pink , pin and yellow goniopora .. lots of them. I was not sure if they are aggressive,, but I really liked those..

I noticed once vendor who had this pink , pin and yellow goniopora .. lots of them. I was not sure if they are aggressive,, but I really liked those..
I saw the same goni I think they were like 65 really stunning regret not getting them.
I enjoyed myself...and spent way more than I expected...mostly because I left with 16 frags and not because I bought designer corals. Steve Tyree said they had over 500 people there today. He said they will have twice the space at the next one on August 5th. It was good to put a couple of new faces to names.

I was busy with the kids today. By the time I was ready to go it was 4:30. Checked direction it would take 27 mins to get there. Sigh. Oh well next time.

I thought it was a good event. WWC has some awesome stuff. I left with an Ultron Favia and Flamethrower Chalice. Our friends at Your Reef was there. Talked with them for a bit and grabbed their Purple Monster Chalice. Got my Labouts wrasse from Fish Doctor and picked up a clam ( from the guy next to WWC ). This is the kinda show the BA needs in my opinion. Looking for forward to a bigger location next time

Purple Monster Watermelon Chalice :D

And yeah those clams were a really big size for the price, it's been a while since I've really looked at clams, but I remember the last time little tiny maximas were $50 easily, and the $100 ones were maybe 2-3 inches.

We bought

Rainbow incinerators

WOW Paly

Salted Agave

Diablo Mauls

Fire Mauls

Lady Vamps

Everlasting Gobstoppers

Ultimate Chaos

I feel I got a good price and I am happy with these beauties. We had wanted to buy some Stratosphere but just could not pull the $500 per polyp trigger.

I had a great time talking to all the vendors and catching up with them since the last show. Saw so many people I know but I need to get out there and meet more, there were some out there I did not know.

Kessil is working in a new grow light like the A80 with a similar pricing plan. This light is amazing for growing plants. It is ideal for chato or your indoor hydroponic vegetable garden.

VO2 has a new line of dry foods. And today he is heading to Davis to visit his daughter at the college but on the way he is visiting the Sacramento stores to discuss with them carrying his line of frozen and soft freeze foods. He has a great reef caviar in both soft freeze and frozen squares. If you get a chance give it a try.

Algagen is in preproduction on a product called Green Water. The product is frozen live algae cultures. Going to make raising our baby clown SO much simpler. Bought some Apocyclops Pods to add to our live food production line.

And one of the things I am most excited about is August 5th 11-5 at the West Valley College the Coral Famers Market is coming back to a larger venue and more space for vendors.

Purple Monster Watermelon Chalice :D

And yeah those clams were a really big size for the price, it's been a while since I've really looked at clams, but I remember the last time little tiny maximas were $50 easily, and the $100 ones were maybe 2-3 inches.
Yeah mine is probably 5 inches and there were larger ones there. Each for $99. Was looking for one anyways, so I couldn't pass it up.

$500 per polyp? *looks on the Google!* wow.... just wow, and not in a good way. I mean it's nice and all, but $500 for something that you can't see that much detail in (outside of macro photography) but hey the market dictates, there apparently is someone willing to pay that kind of money, part of me think it's these vendors pay that kind of money and they try to get their investment back by charging equally large amounts.

I do wish some of the lighting had more white to it though. It's really hard to see the colors of these corals when what you mostly see is the fluorescent qualities (for a great many sps that happens to be green)

I like to buy from vendors with the Kessil lights because that is what I run. You can always ask the vendor to turn the lights to a color you have in your system. Most have adjustable lighting at these shows.

Back