Frozen:
SFBB reef plankton daphnia cyclops Rotifers
H2O coral food
Esv spray dried phytoplankton
Reef chili

I mix it all up and feed every day with a squirt bottle
1 large mix lasts several days

No one food has everything

For daily feeding of coral and other small critters- ampipods, copepods, etc. I feed right when the lights go out by adding a small amount of Oyster feast & phytofeast. Rotifeast also if I have some.

About 2-3 times a week I'll target feed at night 1 of 3 foods: For cyclopeze & artic pods I use a medium sized baster (got from Neptunes) that works great. When I feed Mysis I use a standard turkey baster. Overall I don't feed a lot and not huge pieces- a whole mysis is the largest I'd ever put on a hungry LPS.

Reef Chilli, ESV Phytoplankton, Daphnia, BBS, NM Ova, Mysys/Mysid shrimp.
Squirt bottle (From a beauty supply store) target feed some corals then the rest broadcast feed; I pour the bottle's content right over a power head. Recently bought RN Oyster Feast, I want to entice LPS to open before the real feeding time.
Chalices take pellets too, those fall close to their mouths and seems they are tasty for them.

Slightly derived topic, hope it is not an issue:

What do people feed while on vacation?
Specifically: Types of DRY food.
Or does everyone set up some refrigerated pump or pay neighborhood kid to feed fish.
Or do you just let things go a bit hungry. I know most fish will be fine.

For me:
I automatically feed "prime reef flakes" and "reef chili," twice a day.
(Always, regardless of home/vacation)
When home, I also feed frozen brine shrimp + (rotifers or other random bottled things)

Watch out for pellets or flakes with wheat germ in them (for coral feeding) FWIW

GreshamH said:
Watch out for pellets or flakes with wheat germ in them (for coral feeding) FWIW

And check the Ash content, I recently had a customer buy some Tetra Marine flake and it looked like a forest fire swept through the tank, black powder all over everything.

GreshamH said:
Do any exist without wheat (or oat) germ in them?
Even Ocean Nutrition has that listed.
Seems like a common binding agent.

rygh said:
GreshamH said:

Plenty of coral feeds with out wheat germ in them. I've recently been informed corals can't digest wheat germ. Still looking into the claim but the person who told me (researcher) made a great case for why they can't.

Thx for the heads up on the pellets, I've noticed chalices gobble the whole pellet (for a tiny mouth)
I use the New Life Spectrum pellets and shows on the label it has Wheat Flour plus a whole bunch of other stuff that made me hungry.

GreshamH said:
rygh said:
GreshamH said:

Plenty of coral feeds with out wheat germ in them. I've recently been informed corals can't digest wheat germ. Still looking into the claim but the person who told me (researcher) made a great case for why they can't.

Ok, that makes sense.
Not really a problem with fish food flakes, since they float, and are gobbled up quickly, before they get near a coral.
Could be an issue with sinking pellets though.

Even some people have trouble digesting wheat, so a total guess is that such a simple beast like a coral
polyp cannot produce the proper enzymes.

Brine is one of the largest selling feeds for fish so don't let the lack of talk make you think otherwise.

Freshly hatched BBS are excellent feeds for numerous corals and inverts. Enriched adult brine is pretty darn good as well.

Back