Coral Group Buys

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by nudibranch, Sep 13, 2011.

1. nudibranch

nudibranch Guest

I created this page because I have seen some really nice coral, especially acropora, but they're in these giant chunks where I would have to pay 200 dollars for and would take up half my tank, but what if you could find three other people who want the same exact type of coral you want you could then have everyone but in an equal amount of money and then you could buy the coral and make four frags of it and everyone one could take home a coral they liked and only have to $50 instead of $200.
    This page is open to anyone who is in a situation similar to the one above. It would also work like other bulk buys, where someone would post a picture of the product, in this case coral, along with how much it is and below it would say how many other people he/she needs to make the coral within his/her price range. You would need someone in the group to do the fragging or if someone would like to volunteer to do some of the fragging for groups they can.
    I hope people will enjoy this.

2. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Most people refer to it as splitting a colony... group buy makes it sound kinda "meh" if you catch my drift ;)

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Also one thing to remember is often one person needs to put more at risk than others if the colony dies out on them they're the one who's out money.

4. The idea of splitting a colony intrigues me. The way I see it, the risk is somewhat shared because the coral is (in a manner) banked - if one of the participants' piece does not survive, I would have no problem giving that person a frag and another chance.

5. melly mel

melly mel Guest

I'd be interested if something like this happens. I see so many nice pieces I like but cant get over what some people ask for a 1 inch frag let alone a colony.