got ethical husbandry?

coral reefers 240 gallon flat

So yeah, there are a lot if frags. Currently all in one half of the tank...soon they will be separated into the two halfs of the tank. That means I will have MORE ROOM! if anybody is ready to trim some sps, has anything they want to back up, I'm down! Willing to pay, playthe dbtc game, or just be the benefactor of goodwill! The tank has room, might as well use it! You guys with sick tanks step up and let's make a deal! I've got a couple tank raids in mind, look out for pm if you know I wanna see your tank!

3e7e92de.jpg

New lighting setup. 2x250 watt se Hamilton 14k run on a magnetic blue wave ballast.
c56dcf71.jpg

288b61ca.jpg

Finally secured cords safely!
cbb65bec.jpg

Gigantic ball of chaeto, anybody need some?
And my trusty euroreef, you know it!
d79e1b60.jpg

Let's rerun the lighting tests.
I can bring you that stuff as well.
LMK. I'll be out here at work this week.
BTW those lights look so much better than the last ones can't wait to see it in person.

It was a crazy day. We spent 12 hours straight finishing the frame, installing sockets into reflectors, doing wiring in the house. Home depot shopping, reroutiing cords, and maybe most importantly cleaning up the bullpen. The tank room is know as the bullpen because my brothers terrible ex girlfriend was named Tara(bull) and the first step we took towards setting up the tank was clearing out her crap outta the room, and reflooring etc...hence the bullpen. It hadn't been cleaned out since before we setup the tank. I threw away construction debris that was sitting there for like 8 months! It's now slick
And span, and the new lighting is awesome. I couldn't feel better about my day of work right now. Finally ready to start really filling this sucker now!

This 240 gal is out in Martinez at my brothers house, I am considering putting one in my house as well. I'd like to expand my total volume, be able to check
On stuff every day, feed corals like mad, and be able to have more control over the tank. The 240 has been fun, and a learning experience, but it is also a team
Venture and stuff takes forever to get done

houser said:
Let's rerun the lighting tests.
I can bring you that stuff as well.
LMK. I'll be out here at work this week.
BTW those lights look so much better than the last ones can't wait to see it in person.
Yes please! I'll get a hold Of you and figure out a day. Thanks! I can't wait to see it again myself. It really does look so much better

So there has been a very generous deposit by a fellow member from Kensington...five types of chalice, blastos, purple turbinaria (sp?) favia. I did some sawing, he did some reorganizing, the flat has some new frags. The separate will benefit, and probably a couple of dbtcs to come...
2d5dfc33.jpg

94caa890.jpg

I love that saw! So easy, so clean. I'm excited to see what colors others can get from these. Thanks for coming by! Let's do it again. I found another chalice type that need attention.

Retested the PAR with houser Dave again, thank you, again!!! So I've got 350-375 right under the bulbs, and more like 120-150 on the sides and corners. A good range for acclimating to the light, and moving into higher light. Better all around than before, better color, and I could still move the lights closer if I wanted. New frags look happy, old stuff comic around some, although I think there are some aefw... Time to frag healthy tips, throw out unhealthy bases, dip and baste. Planning on adding a couple wrasses and or a dotty back or so. Wanted to add a few fish after reading the coral science feeding article anyhow. Hopefully I can get it under control. Only saw literally two worms, but I'm sure there are more. DOH!

Good news bad news here. I feel like I've taken a leap forward in my reefing skills lately, I had not previously seen aefw, but now I have. And in fact, I have redbugs as well. This first hand experience has given me confidence that I can identify these pests now, and also I now think that I can tell what affected corals look like. I did a bunch of dipping and fragging hopefully health tips and chucked out some bases of across that had aefw. It makes menferl like I can get the tank running smoothly again if I keep at it. At least I know why some stuff wasn't doing so well, guess it wasn't just the old light browning things out, redbugs were robbing them of their color. Trying to make lemonade out of the lemons here!
Also, it makes me seriously want to get a qt setup going. Any suggestions on how to do so appreciated. Thinking maybe a 40-60 gal with a couple powerheads and hang on back skimmer with t5s. There is a nice little spot that used to be a closet that would fit a tank that size...

I think you have the right attitude about it. I'm sure you will have it all under control soon.
what are you using for a dip?

Back