High Tide Aquatics

Coral reefer’s 360 gal system. 225 display and frag tanks

image.jpeg

Woo hoo! Looking great. What a ton of work.

I'm happy with how it is for now as long as I can get the length of the drain tubes just right in the sump so they stop gurgling upstairs... I think I'll cut it to be about 2-3" below the surface of the sump and see how it sounds.

I do not understand this. How deep underwater the drain tubes are affects a gurgle noise in the DT overflow?

Woo hoo! Looking great. What a ton of work.

I do not understand this. How deep underwater the drain tubes are affects a gurgle noise in the DT overflow?
Air isn't able to get out of the drain pipe easy enough because I has to go too far down through the water. This makes it not flow evenly and creates a bit of gurgling sound. Or so goes my theory. Haven't tried to fix it yet...

Sweet!! I've got some decent growth in the last few months. You are always welcome to frags. Your red tabling is taking off. It's ready when you are.
Boo yah! I still am playing w the idea of a quaranteen tank for corals. Just not sure how to automate it. I know I won't be vigilant enough to keep water quality high. I like the idea of pumping in a couple gal to the sump each day and having a overflow in the sump drain into the qt and an overflow in the qt drain to waste. Anybody have a better idea?

Coming along great !
But hey - I think you might want a few more zip ties on that fancy light fixture.
:p

--

Overflowing from sump into the QT is an issue, since it conflicts with your ATO. Evaporation is never that constant.
Plus, that ends up being a lot of water.

My QT:
The QT is above the sump. I pump a little water into it non stop, perhaps 5 GPH.
That overflows, goes through a 1 micron sediment filter, and back to sump.
Viruses will get through, but pretty much nothing else.
Filters easily last a few months with running QT, then discard.

Tank starting to settle in again. Sps starting to grow well. Chalices are happy. I believe I have a pistol shrimp or a mantis shrimp that I am hearing sporadically. Going to try to trap it somehow soon. Been losing a few smaller fish slowly over several months. Suspecting whatever rogue shrimp that I am convinced I'm hearing.
Got phosphate media changed out, 1/3 water change, cleaned skimmer, and installed frag racks in the frag tank tonight. Still gotta mount that light for real and then start moving stuff down there to prepare for rock switching. Anyone think and urchin will eat/kill off blue cloves?

Nah urchin might munch the rocks and get the cloves in the water column to help spread them :) Might just be your tanks version of aiptasia... something you need to live with. those suckers are tough to deal with, grows on any surface it seems.

Sweet!! Glad things are going well. Urchin will definitely NOT eat blue cloves. I have 3 in the tank right now, and have always had at least one. Still got cloves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sweet!! Glad things are going well. Urchin will definitely NOT eat blue cloves. I have 3 in the tank right now, and have always had at least one. Still got cloves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I didn't really think it would. Maybe it would rip them off here and there. I am thinking I may just replace all my rocks anyways. Wanna make some emaco structures and should be able to load them up w bacteria by putting them in my sump for a couple weeks first I think.

Took a big step towards redoing my rockwork yesterday. Had to remove an acan that was encrusting onto a rock that has aptasia. And that rock was a keystone of sorts. So now it is time to rebuild and or replace. I have 2 rocks that have most fin the aiptasia on them that are coming out, and then I'll probably throw in a bunch of peppermint shrimp or try a copperband butterfly.
Otherwise tank is doing good

Back