Jestersix

Coral reefer’s 360 gal system. 225 display and frag tanks

Wonder what the characteristics of those Li-Ion batteries are for long amounts of charge without discharging, I realize different make ups have different characteristics but 1200 Watt-hours that'd run an MP40 for about 60 hours straight, not too shabby. Probably could gut a dead Ecotech battery backup and use the electronics in it to keep it topped off without over pushing (I assume it has a trickle charger).

Wonder what the characteristics of those Li-Ion batteries are for long amounts of charge without discharging, I realize different make ups have different characteristics but 1200 Watt-hours that'd run an MP40 for about 60 hours straight, not too shabby. Probably could gut a dead Ecotech battery backup and use the electronics in it to keep it topped off without over pushing (I assume it has a trickle charger).

They can sit for very long periods no problem. But there are small protections circuits inside that draw a tiny bit of power.
They handle generally like a normal car battery. You want a slightly higher charge voltage, but most chargers work fine.
Note that these are a bit different chemistry from the cell phone ones. Less likely to burn up.

BUT : As above, they are rather expensive.
FUN, but I don't really see it making sense for something like a backup battery.

I just ordered 3 of these that I can hook up to a car battery in a pinch. $20 each and 800gph apiece
s-l1600.jpg

That's what i like about the belkin units so much. The battery packs are easily replaced with a standard motorcycle battery that costs $20, and they have a quick clip that releases the compartment. I love having them everywhere. I use them for all my fish stuff, routers, switches, wireless phone, voip box, etc. I suppose it's become an addiction now that I reflect back on it....odd...

That's what i like about the belkin units so much. The battery packs are easily replaced with a standard motorcycle battery that costs $20, and they have a quick clip that releases the compartment. I love having them everywhere. I use them for all my fish stuff, routers, switches, wireless phone, voip box, etc. I suppose it's become an addiction now that I reflect back on it....odd...

I think the ecotech ones that work on the ups port on the controller have longer battery life than the ones rubbing off the power wart to the pump. One ecotech can usually run for 12 hours on their ups not sure if you're get the same life on regular ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They don't run off the power port. They run off the same port the ecotech batteries run off. Essentially, if primary power fails, the controller pulls 12v from the secondary source and runs in limp mode. Limp mode runs at a much slower and fixed power draw to extend battery backup life. I have run my mp40 over night with 1 belkin. I was one of the original testers for this and did quite a bit of research to ensure that they would be sufficient to my needs. I am very happy with them. Although i should state that the ecotech battery is much larger. You will get closer to 30 hours on them.

Just sharing my personal experience with these. They are a viable and cost effective alternative and can be used for a ton of stuff.

I think the ecotech ones that work on the ups port on the controller have longer battery life than the ones rubbing off the power wart to the pump. One ecotech can usually run for 12 hours on their ups not sure if you're get the same life on regular ups.

The ecotech battery is cheap to replace on Amazon. If you got a free ecotech just buy the replacement battery.
Small drill out of the rivers and you can open it up.

Got my battery backup plugged in and seems to Be working, so at least one mp40 will run in the event of a power outage. I have another old battery I will replace the actual battery in at some point. The question then will be set it up upstairs as well, or set it up downstairs for the mp10s on the two frag tanks... that's right, I said TWO FRAG TANKS!
IMG_0273.JPG

Bruce's old anemone tank is in place And leveled, ready to be attached to a pump and have a drain attached and run into the sump.
Still need to hang another pair of lights, luckily I still have several AI Sol blues, so I'll just stick with them for this one as well.

I really like the way the lights look in your display tank; I’m still thinking if going LED or use the stock of Radium bulbs I have (which is plenty).
I have a couple Belkin battery back ups (AT&T U-verse) that are still good and plug right in the Vortech main port; power goes out and they keep running. The plus on these units is that they have an electronic monitor, when the battery is no longer good, you will see an LED flash and if that was not attractive enough, swapping the battery is piece of cake. I have three more but the batteries are dead on those. I think I paid $10 for two at the flea market.

You may want to consider getting the barrel plug adapter for those and run them in the backup port. This allows them to run at very slow speeds when power goes out. I love the belkins as well. I have them on everything.
I really like the way the lights look in your display tank; I’m still thinking if going LED or use the stock of Radium bulbs I have (which is plenty).
I have a couple Belkin battery back ups (AT&T U-verse) that are still good and plug right in the Vortech main port; power goes out and they keep running. The plus on these units is that they have an electronic monitor, when the battery is no longer good, you will see an LED flash and if that was not attractive enough, swapping the battery is piece of cake. I have three more but the batteries are dead on those. I think I paid $10 for two at the flea market.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

You may want to consider getting the barrel plug adapter for those and run them in the backup port. This allows them to run at very slow speeds when power goes out. I love the belkins as well. I have them on everything.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Thanks
Do you have a link to the size of the adapter?
I just plugged it in to check compatibility

So my dumbass ran out of soda ash...my new 50 lb. bag hasn't arrived yet, and my gal dosing jug was totally empty. Thanks so much to @xcaret for finding his stash of soda ash in the basement for me. Tested alk after getting the new gal mixed up and it had gotten damn near 6. Crisis very narrowly averted I would say.
Also thanks to @fishdoctor for offering to help me out as well.

So my dumbass ran out of soda ash...my new 50 lb. bag hasn't arrived yet, and my gal dosing jug was totally empty. Thanks so much to @xcaret for finding his stash of soda ash in the basement for me. Tested alk after getting the new gal mixed up and it had gotten damn near 6. Crisis very narrowly averted I would say.
Also thanks to @fishdoctor for offering to help me out as well.

Calcium reactor! [emoji6]

Back