High Tide Aquatics

Coral reefer’s 360 gal system. 225 display and frag tanks

Hanna checker had phosphate at .1, so I replaced my gfo in the reactor.
On a side note, I've been wanting to put a couple holes through the floor and connect my 100 gal in the garage to this system. It would make my water changes much easier because my water storage is down in the garage and I can pump new water right into the sump rather than carrying 30-40 gallons upstairs and pouring it in. So I started working on a plan for where everything would go and such, and I had an idea.
I've always liked closed loops, and been unhappy with how much "wasted space" the two giant overflows take up in my 120. I don't run that much water through the sump, and only use one of the two return holes inside the overflows, so I was thinking of using the two holes inside one overflow to feed a closed loop pump. Also, I'd like the returns of the closed loop to be at the bottom, but I could just have them come over the back of the tank and not have to drill any holes. This would get me more flow with less powerheads in the tank. Has anyone ever done something similar? What do you guys think? Keeping the overflow around the holes would mean that only water in the overflow would spill if there was any problem with the bullheads, but I kind of want to take out the whole overflow part to save myself some space while I'm at it...

Overflows are typically siliconed in, and for a glass tank all you have to do is cut between the silicone and the overflow. When I redid the leemar tank I have I used fishing line to "saw" at it, and then when enough was gone I was able to physically yank it (I wouldn't advise this on thin glass though).

The need for two overflows stems more from the ability to get all the surface water skimmed as opposed to just one corner. However unless your tank is 6 feet long you probably can do away with one of them, just need to be careful about current patterns in your tank. Or call it a Gulf Coast biotope with the oil slick on top :D

I'l add that the stock Oceanic overflow teeth are too close together and really need to be cut out and replaced with some aquaculture mesh A.K.A. gutter guard.

I cut one out of my tank and it wasn't too bad. I just used a knife to cut the silicone. I plugged the holes but now I wish I hadn't. Would be nice to have a closed loop.

Alright, I gave up on the crazy closed loop ideas I had milling around in my head and ordered an MP60!!!

And on another note... in case anybody saw my crazy board games out during the tank tour and is curious it is called axis and allies. There are several versions these days, and you can also play on line at game table online. Its like a $10 one time fee for unlimited online play and I'd be happy to kick your a$$... unless you're really good! Feel free to PM me for details or challenges. Basically it's like a really complicated version of risk with a world war II theme. Nerdy I know, but so is reefing!
a4387efa.jpg

Coral reefer said:
Alright, I gave up on the crazy closed loop ideas I had milling around in my head and ordered an MP60!!!

And on another note... in case anybody saw my crazy board games out during the tank tour and is curious it is called axis and allies. There are several versions these days, and you can also play on line at game table online. Its like a $10 one time fee for unlimited online play and I'd be happy to kick your a$$... unless you're really good! Feel free to PM me for details or challenges. Basically it's like a really complicated version of risk with a world war II theme. Nerdy I know, but so is reefing!
a4387efa.jpg

Just never ever pick Russia unless you enjoy being lambs to the slaughter.

Yes I understand, no worries. I'd just rather it hadn't happened.

Fwiw, I think my issue had less to do with having only a single overflow and more to do with the teeth being cut out on the overflow by some fool who thought he needed 80billionX turnover. Also not running a strainer on my durso contributed. Many many tanks are run with a single overflow, including my old illuminata. I disagree that the factory overflow slots are too small, the overflow has a lower row of slots as well, and I was pushing the unrestricted output of a mag9.5 through the single overflow in that tank with room to spare. It's a poor design due to the double wall though, it clogs up with bubble algae fast and is uncleanable.

anathema said:
I cut one out of my tank and it wasn't too bad. I just used a knife to cut the silicone. I plugged the holes but now I wish I hadn't. Would be nice to have a closed loop.

Yeah, now I have two reasons to wish I hadn't. Funny how your words can bite you in the ass. :X

Pretty sure I'm going to rip the whole thing out and do something different, but until then I'll hijack your thread to talk about myself!

Coral reefer said:

I'm pretty sure Jim (Bookfish) plays that game.

Current FTS
af2d5d01.jpg

I've been through some growing pains over the last 8 months or so. I changed lighting to AI sol blues, upgraded to an mp60, got back on the routine of water changes (30-40 gal every two weeks now), and I think things are starting to come around! Sps are doing better, my acan die off seems to be behind me, new ones looking good!
Still ramping up the AIs a bit, I used to have way more blue than white, but I'm now thinking it's important to have more white in the mix to help out the spectrum a bit. Blue looks good, but the corals seem to be liking more white.

Back