Kessil

Coral(s) ID Please

I'm probably the worst here about names, I write them down, I make notepad files and then they all somehow lost every time. The frag swap is coming up and I am going to try to label my frags correctly, so here are the pics;

_MG_6625.jpg

This one is an SPS, it's smooth & shiny sometimes, sometimes it looks slimy and it has no polyps that I can see

_MG_6617.jpg

This grew from a pink monti, I assume labeling it "pink monti" would suffice?

_MG_6629.jpg

pink/peach acro of some sort

_MG_6627.jpg

sometimes leans towards lime green, sometimes towards teal, birds nest?

_MG_6628.jpg

torch?

_MG_6631.jpg

sometime just green sometime really bright green, z or p...

Alright that's all for now, I have more in the tank that I'd love to ID but they're not making it to the frag swap so more pics will come at a later time.

Erin; not sure about that one, when I google heliopora it says that it's a soft coral, the thing I have is definitely SPS of some sort. The nub frag in the background of the second pic came from the colony in first pic.

Philip;
#3 definitely grows in branches and no plating at all the way montis do.
#4 shall we call this a blue pocillopora? lol
#5 for the life of me I can never tell the difference between a torch & a frogspawn.

Thanks guys

First one if you can see the underside and it's blue, then yeah blue ridge coral ... plus some aiptasia ;)

Second, labeling pink monti is fine, however I would go the extra mile and actually describe what type of montipora coral it is, i.e encrusting, plating, branching. If you don't know the exact species that's fine but letting people know what type of coral they're getting is good. And I'd describe it as orange not pink since pink montipora species are not common at all.

peach/pink acro looks more like a montipora, and it's probably a faded out orange montipora as those are more common.

birdsnest ... how branchy is it? Pocillipora tend to stay fairly clumped up as knobby ends, while birdsnest do have longer branches. Many types of birdsnest do have pointy tips although I've seen some rounded off ones

Torch - I'd go with frogspawn because that's a very common coloration for them, also seems some of the tentacles have multiple branches off them which you don't typically see in torch corals.

Last.. green/brown palys would work :)

You guys are awesome, definitely going to help my labels be more descriptive this time.

I've just realized I really need to read up on my coral anatomy, I've spent too much time focusing on how to grow them so everything from chemistry to lighting and equipment hah, kind of silly now thinking that I'm doing ok growing corals but even identifies what species they all are what species.

Maybe adding a livestock list & photos to my tank journal would be a really good way to learn & retain some new info.

#1 is heliopora (it doesn't look happy-it has long flowering polyps that should extend)
#2 yes it's a monti but tough to say the type from the pic provided, my guess is it's a cap
#3 is montipora digitata, and it looks like it might have too much light
#4 is seriatopora, known as bird of paradise
#5 frogspawn
#6 button polyp

Back