Kessil

coral suggestions

I have lots of green, bluish corals. Looking to add more colors to my tank. Any suggestions on reds, yellow corals? Let me know if you have something for sale that can add more colors to my humble tank. Thanks all!

oh if anyone has a frag of red planet that you want to sell please let me know. trying to nurse mine back from my summer crash but not looking too good. everything else is making a nice comeback! Hope to have a chiller by next summer!

You would like the setosa!
P1000156.jpg

Some real nice bright orange rhodactis mushrooms would be nice (I could spare a starter shroom or two.............Some real nice bright red chalice around (not ready to frag mine) red goniopora is a stunner............maybe some nice orange acans..........Armor of The Gods zoas for nice red/orange flavor.........bright yellow sun coral....difficult to keep, requires regular target feeding....pink stylopora.......easy SPS.............war coral.......nice red and green holiday color.
March201053.jpg

March201086.jpg

Suncoraleating.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

Billsredgonipora.jpg

P1000144.jpg

P1000142.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

John, nice suggestions! How hard and what makes sun corals hard to keep? I'm pretty good at target feeding my lps, only thing i have to worry about is my darn blood shrimp stealing the food. I have to constantly blast him away with the baster in order to make sure the LPS are able to take in the food. I had a goniopora before when I first got in the hobby, lasted well over 2 years then just died on me. not sure what happened but i heard they dont really last long right? whats required to have them long term and thrive?

I was also looking at some rainbow acans online yesterday. Lots of nice ones out there! Those def on my wish list!

Got a small frag that is yours if you can come get it. I will not make the November meeting.

My experience. The derdros and tubs, sun coral, do not reflect under blue lights so if it is pop you want under actinics they wash out. However they are bright yellow and the dedros open in the day more consistently. If you are target feeding already the dendros take food in rapidly so fighting off the shrimp will be about what you are currently doing.

GreshamH said:
Goniopora
It's great to have a back-up to our spell built-in spell checker. Maybe Erin could massage our spell checker dictionary to include a few thousand of coral species spellings. H) Thanks for catching it, Gresh. I'm sure it's a "little" aggravating to see habitual coral misspellings! :)

I am the last one to correct spelling errors (I suck at spelling) but once some one starts in on one, it seems to continue down the thread :)

I know on other forum software there is a way to include what ever word you want. I have never used this forums spell checker, I use my built in one for Firefox. I actually didn't know we had a spell check in fact :lol:

FWIW I have every reef building coral on a list all ready and many soft corals. I would be happy to supply the list to some one if they wanted to update the spell checker :) It should include words like anemone, phytoplankton and rotifer. Those seem to get miss spelled routinely :)

http://drupal.org/project/wysiwyg_spellcheck

Orange euphyllia are nice if you want uncommon.
I have some blasto merleti you could have a frag of, it's red and green.
A nice red or orange scoly or cynaria would have some pop. Seems like quite a few around at the moment too.

If you have the room fungia come in bright orange too, and are less of a commitment than a sun coral.

GreshamH said:
I am the last one to correct spelling errors (I suck at spelling) but once some one starts in on one, it seems to continue down the thread :)

I know on other forum software there is a way to include what ever word you want. I have never used this forums spell checker, I use my built in one for Firefox. I actually didn't know we had a spell check in fact :lol:
I use Firefox too and am on a campaign to update it's spell check dictionary with correctly spelled scientific nomenclature for coral. No need to be sloppy at my age! ROFL :|

+ 1 on setosa, nice warm tone.

IMHO, purple will not help much if overall color is on cold side, yellow does not look so good in contrast to surrounding cold tone. Orange/red/pink are the ones really provide nice warm tone to tank.

If you want something grow vertically, orange digitata is relatively easier & grow fast, red planet is nice red, or so many millis in pink/red are good candidate as well.

screebo said:
GreshamH said:

I use Firefox too and am on a campaign to update it's spell check dictionary with correctly spelled scientific nomenclature for coral. No need to be sloppy at my age! ROFL :|

When I get back from NJ I will send you the master list I have then :)

Couple more suggestions that shouldn't be hard to find:

Red war coral favites, a red trachyphyllia, pink seriatopora, there is a red table that was well represented at the last frag trade (pink hyacinthus) as well as red "acropora milleporis" ish corals. Orange plating montipora is common and a very bright, nice addition in my opinion.

Back