Cali Kid Corals

Coral Warfare

Ca ca cant we just all get along? :)

It looks like I might be having some trouble going on in my tank. Some of my millis and chalices are closing up and I can't figure out why. I did a thorough battery of tests last night and everything is within normal ranges (Ca 500, Alk 10, Nitrate--0, PH 8.4).

My next guess is that my softies are causing these corals to become irritated. I read that sinularia and sarcophytums are particularly toxic to other SPS and LPS corals (both of which I have)--especially when they get big.

If coral warfare is in fact happening, does anyone know if carbon will solve this or will I have to make a Sophie's Choice and get rid of some my corals? Also, how much carbon should I run and how often should I change it for my 65 gallon tank with 20 gallon refugium? I have a 2 little fishies reactor.

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give me.

Carbon should help. Use this calculator here:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/reef-calculator

Plug in size of tank and scroll down to select the carbon used.

Keep up on WC's, run carbon, etc. Depending on the size of your softie/sps colonies you might even have to make the tough choice, but letting you know it's at least POSSIBLE for the corals you mentioned to get along and grow long-term... they all tend to be tough corals.

middle-right.jpg

3 diff large leathers on the right, pink chalice top left, and smack tween the toadstool and the chalice is a milli that formed its own little atoll by the time the tank was taken down.

Thanks guys. I decided to get rid of the softies. It was a tough decision since they were all nice and big pieces--but I did get 1 eye of Bubble Gum Monster in return.

Back