coralline algae

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by Edgar Sandoval, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Edgar Sandoval

Edgar Sandoval Supporting Member

Guys how do I seed coralline algae?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

Just grab a small piece of it from someone's tank and drop it in yours. If you shop regularly at an LFS just ask them to grab a small rock from their sump, etc. Or if you're near any BAR (I'm in walnut creek) just set up a time to grab some. You don't need much -- in fact if you can find a snail or crab at an LFS with a little on the shell that's all it takes as well.

3. Edgar Sandoval

If any BAR member is willing to sell me a small piece of rock covered with coralline algae that will be great

4. Bruce Spiegelman

Where are you located?

5. Edgar Sandoval

I am in Hayward

Geneva likes this.
  6. Bruce Spiegelman

Anytime you want to make the drive to Walnut Creek I'll be happy to give you a piece, however, there's a couple of reef stores around you that I'm sure would give you a small piece as well.

7. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Edgar, you WILL get coraline algae. Everyone gets it. Usually when you start out, you want it. But then it starts growing and becomes annoying. I gotta scrape the coraline off my glass every 2 weeks or else it gets ugly.

The 2 sides of my tank I let the coraline grow for the past 2 years and now it's so thick I dont think I can get rid of it by hand.

Geneva and Edgar Sandoval like this.
  8. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

I wish I could get it to grow on my rocks but I think my urchins scour the rock. Plus - have never had any nuisance algae. Minus - no pink.

9. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

@Edgar Sandoval

I will bring a rock with coralline algae on it for you. Free of charge :) see you at the Fragging Workshop

Edgar Sandoval likes this.
  10. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

Woo hoo! Another member in the neighborhood - I'm in Castro Valley. I can give you many corals from my tank when you are ready for them!!

11. Edgar Sandoval

Thank you. i'm looking forward to meeting with you guys.

Enderturtle likes this.
  12. Edgar Sandoval

That will be great. I have a few and they are doing great. Thank you

13. sump_penny

sump_penny Guest

Add me back to another reefer in the hood . Took everything down for 2-3 years. Im restarting the QTs and DT as off last week. Gonna try fishless cycling. Ive been inhumane with the old school damsel cycles since 90s

14. Gudhjem

Gudhjem Supporting Member

Woohoo! Castro Valley here as well.

Geneva likes this.