Corals for Sale to help support Summer program for Southeast Asian high school students at UC Berkeley

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by boun11, Apr 22, 2009.

1. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

I am offering beginner corals (I used to sell aquatic plants for the cause.. I took down my freshwater tank and now.. you can read more about it on here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/45534-plants-sale-help-support-summer-program.html) for sale to help support a summer program at UC Berkeley for Southeast Asian Students (Vietnamese, Laotian, Khmer, and students whom parents has gone through the Diaspora during the Viet Nam War).

The summer program is sponsored by the Southeast Asian Student Coalition. I was one of the founding members of the organization when I was a student at UC Berkeley. This is their 8 summers and they are in dire need of money. I've been helping them to raised money for their food and transportation budget. Their food and transportation budget is about $3,000. So far I have raised about $200. Still waiting for other people to say how much they will donate. We hope to bring 35-40 students to the summer program depending on this year budget. Believe me they fight hard for every penny they get from the University. A few year I went to speak on their behalf at the Associate Student Body and they got $800 out of $2000 that they asked for. This year’s budget is about $550 per student.

Last year they were able to bring 36 students to the program. If you do not want to buy the corals and you can make donation. You will get a letter of donation and a 501(c) tax ID # for your tax write-off. Thanks for looking! You can learn more about the summer program by going here: http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~sasc/. I know this program works because it has changed one of my student’s lives. Three years ago his cousin was visiting from San Jose State and his cousin was shot and he died. My student knew exactly who did it. A lot of his friends want him to go and retaliate and kill the other guy. He called me up and we spoke and he mentioned that if it were not for the summer he spent at UC Berkeley he would have gone and gets that guy back.

The summer program helps students to understand their environment and teaches them that violence is not the answer to anything. Right now, he’s currently attending Laney College and hope to transfer back to UC Davis. By buying corals from me you will help these students and you get some cool corals in your tank as well.

I have the following corals for sale (Note… I think the prices are reasonable if not please let me know): Pick up in Berkeley, CA.

1. Over 70 polyps of Tubs Blue Zoa colony: $150
    2. ½+ sunset monti: $40
    3. various acro 1+” for $15-$25
    4. Numerous zoas and palys ranging from $1-$2 per polyps
    5. Small rock with 7+ cats eyes, 12+ AOG, 8+ Purple Death: $100
    6. Colony of Indo Acan with over 30 heads: $75
    7. 1+” of Green Nepthea freshly cut for $20
    8. Various caps 1”+ $10-$25

Here are some pictures taken by Doug. If you want specific picture of any corals you can let me know and I can take some pictures. If you see any corals in the full tank shot that you like. I am willing to sell it to help this cause. Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. iani

iani Guest

I have some frags that I want to also donate to help Boun out.

Pink Lemonade 1"+ - 45 dollars
    [​IMG]

Emerald Mummy eye 4 mouths/eyes - 230 dollars
    exoticfrags.us

http://www.exoticfrags.us/corals.php?&c=86
    [​IMG]

Tyree war coral 45 dollars
    [​IMG]

Or take them all for 300, all proceeds will be donated to Boun's program.

3. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

A few more pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

I'll donate some stuff too.

I'll check late tonight after I get back from class.

I'm thinking:

[updated 4/23 11:40pm]

Aquatic Collection Pokerstar/Rainbow monti - two frags
    Spiderman zoas - one 5 polyp frag
    Baby's Breath favia - one frag, 2 heads
    Rose Nebula paly - one 3 polyp frag
    Gold leptastrea - one frag
    Favia matthai -one multi head frag
    Ian's Yellow Acan - one frag, 2 heads

Hey Boun, I'll leave it to you to price these!

:D

5. Lyn

Lyn Guest

This is a great idea; selling corals to help others. I have been thinking for a while now that perhaps our club could do something like this (since sometimes you can't give corals away). But I don't know how it would work logistically.

6. patchin

patchin Facilities / Event Coordinator

Very cool idea. I might be interested in the birdsnest. How much are you asking?

7. kurplunk

kurplunk Guest

Boun, I'll take a large frag of the second acro down. Just let me know how much you want. Green with pink tips. Also the war coral from ian

8. Jombo

Jombo Guest

I think this is a great idea!
    I'm interested in the Tyree War Coral that Ian posted up.

9. iani

iani Guest

Kurplunk (Daniel) you got the war coral. I can bring it over to Boun if you want to arange pick up that way. Or you can come into the city to pick it up from me.

10. kurplunk

kurplunk Guest

Either way works. Thank you Sir.

11. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

I can frag you a couple of 1+" frags for $15.. let me know if it is too much

12. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

Daniel are you talking about this one: [​IMG]

I believe I got this one through a trade with you awhile back. I can give you a small frag back :) if you want a big piece you can come and cut it in half and make a donation :)

13. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

Thanks Norman for offering to donate some corals! My internet at work finally works. We have been without internet for over 2 days. In the past, when I was not into saltwater, I sold aquatic plants from my big tank to help this student group. I am also part of SFBAAPS and other members chip in with some of their plant clippings.

Lyn: I have been doing this for the past 4 years or so. I also fund raise through alumnus of the club (SASC). If BAR wants to help out the community I think you guys can establish a scholarship fund for students that consider going into the field relating to Marine life :) We can sell corals to fund the scholarship(s). Every pennies help during this economy. I'm down to help out with this.

14. kurplunk

kurplunk Guest

Boun I thought that might be it. Lost my colony a while back. This is a win win situation. I was thinking of jumping in on the coral donation. Maybe BAR can sponsor something at their table a BACFM with some proceeds going towards a similiar fund.

15. iani

iani Guest

Daniel what is that coral called? Is it a sarmentosa?

For the war coral, let me know what is easier for you.

16. kurplunk

kurplunk Guest

I'm really not sure. It was a super nice tabling colony that i got from Ming Wei three years ago. It was so nice and a fast grower. If you can drop it off with Boun that woudl be great. I don't think i can make it all the way to sf before BACFM. Thank you both

17. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Boun, you could post the idea in the WIBGIF forum.

Like, "WIBGIF if a few of us set up a scholarship fund...."

I'm sure some people would like to pitch in!

:D

18. patchin

patchin Facilities / Event Coordinator

Yes, that sounds resonable for the BN. We will be coming through Berkeley Sat evening. LMK if that would work.

19. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

Saturday Evening works for me. PM me for my phone #. Thanks!

20. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

I just did! The Tubs Blue Zoa colony is sold and still have the rest of the corals for sale!