Kessil

Couple of night shots from SF...

Hello all Took a couple of pictures last night.. Tried to get the whole running water effect.. Kinda what I had in mind.. I'd like to be able to smooth it out a little more..

3269098950_44e7dba8c7_b.jpg

3268245595_27d2f24b7b_b.jpg

im a newbie so dont get mad at me when i ask but....did you use HDR on the first photo? regardless, i love these photos :D

I ca n't hold the remote and count consistently enough

I need to get a stop watch or something.. Anything over 30 seconds I have to shoot in bulb right? THen hold the shutter for as long as I want it to be open?

hmm, so I'm guessing it was too bright? if you go over 8 seconds or so, you rwater should look smoother and smoother.

at 30 seconds you should be getting "fog" instead of water. Over 30 seconds, it needs to be pitch black really...

[quote author=fishnfst link=topic=6286.msg80228#msg80228 date=1234330986]

I need to get a stop watch or something.. Anything over 30 seconds I have to shoot in bulb right? THen hold the shutter for as long as I want it to be open?
[/quote]

Yeah dude are you sure it was 30 seconds? Not 3 seconds. haha. Even 3 at three seconds it should look smoother.

[quote author=iani link=topic=6286.msg84849#msg84849 date=1235695916]
[quote author=fishnfst link=topic=6286.msg80228#msg80228 date=1234330986]

[/quote]

Yeah dude are you sure it was 30 seconds? Not 3 seconds. haha. Even 3 at three seconds it should look smoother.
[/quote]

Yes Ian the exif data states that my first shot the one that Eileen and Moo were asking for information on was indeed 30 seconds..

doesn't look like the exif data shows the shutter speed.

Was it 1/30th of a second? Shows up as 1/30 sec. we're not doubting you, it's just amazing you could shoot at 30 seconds and not get the whole city blown out.

The exif is correct on the first one posted.. The second picture is iso 200 50mm f/16 5 seconds...

The first picture is as stated...

For the first picture I started at f22 and 30 seconds.. Picture came out a hair dark. I just kept on opening the aperture wider and wider till I got to f10 and thats what I got here. I was try ing to get teh studio from the moma overhead to show up the grid pattern. The blue right above got a hair blown out. This was the happy medium exposure wise. A couple other people who were there that night shot some bracket shots and did hdr conversions. Those actually came out the best. I was happy with mine as a single exposure..

Yup just double checked it.. This is directly off my flickr page.. That exposure 30 means 30 seconds right?? It was pretty dark. You couldn't recognize people standing 10 feet away...

Camera: Nikon D3
Exposure: 30
Aperture: f/10.0
Focal Length: 24 mm
Focal Length: 24.5 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: No Flash

on flickr, there are two exposures... which is weird. At least for me. http://flickr.com/photos/kinetic/3307912453/meta/

The first one shows seconds, the second one shows 0.00 with no units. I feel like it has something to do with your light meter.

The Exposure 30 makes me think it's not your shutter speed? What is your flickr page?

On second thought, I just checked one of my super slow shots too, and it shows Exposure: 14 with no units. ODD!
http://flickr.com/photos/kinetic/3209187560/meta/in/set-72157594189182622

Well, maybe you were at 30 seconds, and the water is just too uniform to actually look flowy. Try to post your flickr page, I'm curious now =)

Were you at 14 seconds on that one? Hmmmm I've shot some pics of the water at ocean beach and on the north bar. 10-12 seconds with stacked nd filters gives me a really cottony look to the water. ALmost like smooth foam......

[quote author=fishnfst link=topic=6286.msg84924#msg84924 date=1235711736]
Were you at 14 seconds on that one? Hmmmm I've shot some pics of the water at ocean beach and on the north bar. 10-12 seconds with stacked nd filters gives me a really cottony look to the water. ALmost like smooth foam......
[/quote]

yup 14 seconds on that one, for sure. I used a GND and a circular polarizer and also shot that about 15 minutes after sunset in order. stacking nd filters gives me crazy reflections and sometimes gross uneven light... mostly because i probably don't take good enough care of the filters and/or they're kinda cheap... so I opt to taking shots when it gets closer to night at the shores.

[quote author=Cerissa link=topic=6286.msg84933#msg84933 date=1235713324]
OMG!!! Love those pics!!!! Absolutely stunning!
[/quote]

You shoulda see the print out. 8)

hahaha for sure.. I've only done it a couple of times.. I don't own a cpl so have never tried one.. I saw some of Eric's Waterfall shots and was amazed. hahahahah. So now I want to go and search out some waterfalls. OR just drains!! I think I saw a pic at one of the sfbas shoots at sutro where someone took a pic of that one drain blowing water.. It looked really cool...

Thank you Cerissa compliments are always welcome here :)

Back