Kessil

Crafty Christmas Beach Ornament

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Maybe everyone knew about this except me, but I just heard of this from a teacher in North Carolina:
Take a clear Christmas ornament ball, remove the top, add some sand and tiny shells, replace the top. Voila! A cool little beach scene.
My marine science class is doing my first ever sand lab later this week, then Friday right before winter break we will use sand samples in the "winter non-denominational decorations." I think the kids will love it. If they do and the products look good I will post a photo.
Bonus: Michael's had all the balls and ribbon/rope for hanging at 60% off and tiny shells 40% off with coupon. Score.

Maybe everyone knew about this except me, but I just heard of this from a teacher in North Carolina:
Take a clear Christmas ornament ball, remove the top, add some sand and tiny shells, replace the top. Voila! A cool little beach scene.
My marine science class is doing my first ever sand lab later this week, then Friday right before winter break we will use sand samples in the "winter non-denominational decorations." I think the kids will love it. If they do and the products look good I will post a photo.
Bonus: Michael's had all the balls and ribbon/rope for hanging at 60% off and tiny shells 40% off with coupon. Score.
They also give a teacher's discount for you.

AWESOME sand lab. Seriously, it sounds boring but if you have never had the opportunity to look at sand under a microscope (low magnification) you would find it very interesting. Then, kids were so excited to make a "beach in a ball."
20161216_090338.jpg
20161216_085840.jpg
Looks great once ribbon or twine is added. Very cool that if the shells get covered with sand you simply shake gently and the shells will rise to the top. I discovered that fact a long time ago when I thought multiple particle sizes would make the best sandbed - all the large crushed coral was pushed to the surface as the fine particles filtered down, forming cement.

Back