Creature ID?

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by tygunn, Nov 13, 2014.

1. tygunn

tygunn Webmaster

Saw this while observing the tank under red lighting the other night. It looks like it has a hard shell, but it can flex around rocks, etc. Very slow moving.
    [​IMG]
    Never seen this one before! :)

2. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

Looks like a chiton to me. I don't consider chitons acrylic tank friendly. They turned the bottom 1/3 of a tank into 'frosted' acrylic! I don't know what they will do to glass. In the wild they eat into rock!

3. tygunn

tygunn Webmaster

Yup, definitely looks like a chiton! Thanks for the ID. I have a glass tank so I think I should be okay. My divider to the sump is acrylic,but I'm not too worried about scratching that up.

4. 650-IS350

650-IS350 Supporting Member

agreed chiton.

5. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Was expecting to see a 4' worm. Leaving disappointed... *whew*

6. tygunn

tygunn Webmaster

iCon@, is this more to your liking?
    [​IMG]

7. 650-IS350

650-IS350 Supporting Member

at least not a 6 foot eunicid worm

8. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

when's someone going pull one of these out? hehe

[​IMG]

9. tygunn

tygunn Webmaster

Haha these are why I wear shoulder length gloves when working in the tank..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

10. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

you'll never find one in your tank ;) only one has been found in a saltwater tank so far and that was in the UK (the one in the pic I posted actually) but they are the things of nightmares...

I find myself more concerned with bacteria in the tank so I wear Nitrile gloves & a rubber band around the wrist whenever I mess around with the tank or need to grab sharp rocks. Of course it helps with my psycho clown who hates my guts & dreams of murdering my hand.

11. tygunn

tygunn Webmaster

Hah, oh trust me I've had nightmares of some of the things I've seen in my tank already. :)

Yes, the bacteria in the tank and slime from corals is more my concern. I was handling a frogspawn in the past and had a small cut on my finger; felt pretty poor after handling the frogspawn, so something must have got into the cut that didn't agree with me. I used to do the nitrile gloves with elastics before I got my shoulder gloves. I also pre-filled them with RO/DI water before putting my hands in them. I figured that way there was already water in the gloves so there was less chance of saltwater leaking in.