High Tide Aquatics

Crispy's 150

You are off to a nice start Itsacrispy! Are you planning on adding more rock or do you want to keep it open like that?

The only thing I would change personally is add a divider in the fuge between the fuge and return pump. If for whatever reason you stir up the sand in there like it is now whatever is suspended will get sucked up by the pump immediately and blown into your tank.

Here's a few shots of the LT Plate I recently got. I just finished feeding it cyclopeeze. If you guys can, please let me know if the critter looks healthy. Thanks!

Does anyone have any idea what kind of snails these are? I have three of them I believe, I got them from the generous individual who provided me the LS and LR. They move very slowly and often fall over, which makes me think they may be sick. But not knowing anything about them, I have no idea if this behaviour is normal.

Looking good Mike! Like that macroalgae you got going on in there. Not sure what kind of snail that is. Almost looks like a cerith snail but not quite. Same shaped shell as a cerith but a cerith snail has a smoother shell.

Lastly, a shot of the three stooges :D The gramma and the two little clowns seem to enjoy each others' company, with the gramma taking an almost overseeing character.

The long leafy macroalgae looks like caulerpa to me. I had that in my tank too and thought it was really cool until my emerald crab discovered it and decided to make a meal out of it. No more caulerpa...Haha!

Not sure about the other stuff.

Thanks Aldie!

I thought about that as well, but I wanted to keep it simple. Now I probably will need to add a baffle of some sort. As for the rockwork, I do plan on adding more, I just haven't the money for more LR at this point.

[quote author=alve link=topic=5599.msg70106#msg70106 date=1229498741]
You are off to a nice start Itsacrispy! Are you planning on adding more rock or do you want to keep it open like that?

The only thing I would change personally is add a divider in the fuge between the fuge and return pump. If for whatever reason you stir up the sand in there like it is now whatever is suspended will get sucked up by the pump immediately and blown into your tank.
[/quote]

Hey DurT!

Yea, I just checked out some photos of some Ceriths, and they look similar but the Ceriths have a longer shell.

[quote author=DurTBear link=topic=5599.msg70116#msg70116 date=1229500692]
The long leafy macroalgae looks like caulerpa to me. I had that in my tank too and thought it was really cool until my emerald crab discovered it and decided to make a meal out of it. No more caulerpa...Haha!

Not sure about the other stuff.
[/quote]

the calcerous algae you have is halimeda, green leafy is caulerpa prolifera, red bubbles on strand is botryocladia and the red leafy i believe is titanophora

i love the open look of your tank. the way the halimeda is growing on the rock is incredible.

Thanks for putting a name with the face, bluenassarius!

I love the halimeda as well. I see brand new buds popping up literally every day. I didn't get a good shot of the rock in my fuge, but it's literally overgrown with halimeda.

Do you guys think I need to add more rock? Because I also like the open look the tank has right now. I don't plan on making this a coral-heavy tank. Frankly, the only coral inhabitants I plan on are the LT Plate (if it makes it), the Xenia and some GSP. My concern is actually whether the fish will need more boltholes and hiding places to feel comfortable.

Thanks again all!

the snais should be Nassarius and the blade like algae is caulerpa prolifera :) the algae that grows in colonies of little leafy things is halimeda. :) looking good, glad i can help jump start your tank.

crispy,

if you don't have heavy bioload, i don't see why you couldn't get away with a dsb, live rock, macroalgae. its all about keeping a balance.

dan,

we need to talk dude :)

Back