CUC

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by RichieT, May 13, 2013.

1. RichieT

RichieT Guest

I am planning to place an order with Reefcleaners.org for a decent sized clean-up crew. Anyone else in the SF area want to jump in on the order? If you have suggestions for a better place to buy from please let me know.

Rich

2. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Supporting Member

Reefcleaners is awesome! I've ordered from them at least 4 times and would highly recommend them.

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Only suggestion I have is don't go overboard, and whatever you do don't get any sites "recommended" package. Looking at their 20g crew, I wouldn't put that many snails in my 180g tank, granted I don't have a sand bed, but even so (for a 180g tank, they recommend 350 snails... yeah right)

IMO, clean up crews should be added to a tank that's well established, and not as an introductory animal. There will be diatoms, there will be algae, you need to let your tank go through these phases and mature with them intact before throwing in snails, or cucumbers, or whatever other animals to fix it.

4. FeliciaLynn

I agree with Mike to wait a bit before throwing in a CUC. I've ordered John's (Reef Cleaners) pre-made CUCs several times though because they are the best deal for your money. They are super cheap for the number of snails and also include your shipping. It always seems like an excessive amount, but they've done a great job keeping my 30 gallon clean and I don't feel like I see an excessive number of snails. If you're worried about too many snails, just order the premade CUC for a smaller size thank than you actually have. The premade crews are always going to be a better deal than picking out individual snails and then paying shipping.

5. RichieT

RichieT Guest

Thanks for the advice. Wasn't planning on ordering immediately. I wanted to see if anyone was interested in jumping in once I ordered.

6. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Reefcleaners is great for hard to find scavengers. I might get in on that.

Notes from previous order:
    Dwarf Cerith are really small, and basically a nuisance more than a help.
    The Nassarius they ship are little babies. Takes a long time to grow to a useful size.
    The brittle stars they sell get HUGE. Don't believe that 4 inch claim. Mine are 12 now.
    I really like the Conch they sell.

7. FeliciaLynn

I agree about the dwarf ceriths. They're tiny and a bit annoying. The nassarius I got were a reasonable size, but then again I have a 30 gallon so a good size for my tank may be tiny for other people's tanks. Or the size may just depend on what he has available at the time you order.

8. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

Rich - with your tank size you should easily find what you need locally and save on the S&H. I don't think you'll need very much

9. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

I dunno he's in San Francisco, the pickings are mighty slim. For $20 you can get one of those smaller tank ones shipped to your door? Kind of hard to pass up :D

10. FeliciaLynn

I agree. I thought it would be cheaper to get snails locally but when you can get the whole package sent to your door for $17, that's really hard to beat.

11. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

Cant argue with that , great priced and shipped to your door.

12. RichieT

RichieT Guest

It's a 50 gal set-up. Just browsing the lfs the prices are pretty high for inverts.

13. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Yes but they've already been shipped, and survived...

14. FeliciaLynn

I've ordered from Reef Cleaners on multiple occasions and I've never had an issue with the snails surviving. Also, John (owner of the company) is awesome about replacements if anything happens from what I've heard. Snails are practically indestructible though, so they tend to do just fine with priority shipping.

15. BAYMAC

BAYMAC Guest

Having literally seen tens of thousands of dead snails as the result of shipments, I 100% disagree with you. Snails are not practically indestructible and the smell that emanates from them is death warmed over *1000

16. FeliciaLynn

Yuck! Well from my experience with Reef Cleaners I've never had a problem with the snails dying in transit. I'm sure it can happen, but it seems like Reef Cleaners does a good job with their shipping.

17. GDawson

GDawson Guest

Yup.... that's one NASTY smell!!

-Gregory

18. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

After reading this thread I took the plunge and ordered from RC.org. I ordered a package for 70G. although my tank is 120G.

I'm not sure how many survived. There are a bunch still in the pile I dumped them in yesterday. My comments are mostly about the packaging and bagging.

At this point I'm not so sure I'd order from them again. They claim it might take awhile for the snails to 'reanimate'. It looks like they were just scooped out of the muck at the bottom of a tank. Would have been nice to give them a quick rinse before shipping!!

Some pics...

The box, which was supposed to be signed for and was just dropped on my doorstep, looks like it was a tough trip:

[​IMG]

Inside the box was just a couple of wads of paper. No styrofoam liner...

[​IMG]

And lastly, the bag of goodies. Really gross water. Horrible smell. Nasty enough for me to get my gloves on!!

[​IMG]

19. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Ahh, the sweet pungent smell of dead snails.
    I always wondered how they could be so bad, even weeks afterwards.

I get a sad kick out of how mangled the "Fragile" sticker is.

I had an opposite problem with them. We agreed to NOT have it be signed for when delivered, since I would not be home.
    Well, they goofed, so I had to rush over to the post office from work before they closed to pick it up.
    Other than that though, I had much better luck with the snails and packaging.

20. GDawson

GDawson Guest

In the past I've had both astreas and turbos take up to a week to start moving around. Even after a LONG acclimation period.

-Gregory