Our mission

Current 48"x24"20" project

If it were me I'd go through the top, depending of course on what your canopy situation is. The reason being that you can have your siphon breaks up real high so you have minimal back siphoning. Other wise through the back is fine if you're doing open top.

Getting close to finaly getting tank built. (hopefully by this weekend) Need opinions on how high i should set my lighting. As stated previously, tank will be 48x24x20. lit by 2 lumenbright reflectors. I understand these reflectors reflect light straight down as oppose to the more spread out effect of lumenarcs. what's your opinion on the best height for this paticular setup? I plan on keeping lps and softies on the bottom and SPS in the upper/middle part of the display.

Lumenbright users say they have a less defined edge. Lumenarcs send it straight down making harsher edges. Both are excellent. LA are the original, Lumenbright are knock offs.

GreshamH said:
Lumenbright users say they have a less defined edge. Lumenarcs send it straight down making harsher edges. Both are excellent. LA are the original, Lumenbright are knock offs.

Greshm what you mean by less defined edge? I thought the lumenbrights sent the lights straight down and the LA had a greater light spread. Either way, both reflectors kick ass, But i got a good deal on the LB's.

Defined as in "harsher". The spread is larger on a LAIII but they have harsher edges. If you put two side by side you can see where they meet. The LB does not do this as much. I prefer LAII though :)

Got cha. :) So with LB's I can put them up higher without having harsh edges and shouldnt lose much PAR then? I was thinking some where around 20" from the top of the tank. Would that be too high/low?? What do you guys recommend?

20" from the top of the tank? That's very high. That would put the buld at like 16 - 18" off the water. I run mine at like 12" off the water.

tuberider said:
If it were me I'd go through the top, depending of course on what your canopy situation is. The reason being that you can have your siphon breaks up real high so you have minimal back siphoning. Other wise through the back is fine if you're doing open top.

Man this decision is the hardest for me so far....cant make up my mind on which will be a cleaner look. Tank will be an open top. Drilled thru the back would leave the top looking clean without tubing coming up but would hate for a leaky bulkhead.....then again, no worries or leaking if i drill thru the euro bracing but pipes will take away from the clean look im going for.....why is life filed with such hard decisions?? :tired: :)

This is gonna be the longest week for me ever! I get my tank this Friday! :bigsmile: Now I just gotta go to Max and have them build me a stand. Was looking for a used one but figured why get a used stand for a new tank. Still trying to come to the realization that going cheap is NOT the way to go in this hobby. So far the lady is with me on a new stand as well which makes the decision that much easier!

Finally got my tank last week! Gonna do leak test this weekend. Also gonna start getting all my plumbing and what not and hopefully in a couple weeks get my stand built. Gonna be a slow build this time around for sure.

I hope Max doesn't have a waiting list so you can get the stand that much quicker :) I know the feeling. It's like Christmas seen through a 4 years olds eyes :)

Thanks Gresh, for sure excited about this build. Tank looks awesome! Sure glad i have school to keep my mind pre occupied whille i wait for everything to come together. Hoping I can get it all together before i leave for Hawaii in July but from the way it looks so far, it might not come together until after i get back. Atleast by then I'll have everything i need to get it up and running.

Got some pics. Hopefully I can leak test this weekend.

048.jpg

049.jpg

050.jpg

053.jpg

052.jpg

Need to drill the holes when i get my bulkheads in on monday.

little over a year and made some great progress. Tank was moved from brothers garage to my MIL's garage! lol. But once school is done this week, we will be moving on to plumbing. damn this is the longest build for me so far.

Stand built, over flow and returns drilled. Going with beananimal style drain and still need to hook up airline on the full siphon drain. Plumbing should be completed by tommorow then will get baffles glued in the sump hopefully by this weekend. Also got the scaping done. cant tell from the picks but the scaping really has good dimensions from the front view and wanted to be able to see the whole length of the tank when viewed from the side. LMK what you think and what I can improve.

Special thank you to Mario for building me this awesome stand!

Back