Neptune Aquatics

Current 48"x24"20" project

Quick update...Today I was able to remove the check valve on my return line. So ,uch more flow from not having the check valve. not much else done, still waiting on the cycle. Goot to play around with the vortechs and figured out how to set up and toggle thru the different modes and what not. Such a cool pump! A good friend of mine that actually got me started in this hobby came over with his cousin to check out the progress on the tank. Nothing really special but my fiance was joking about seeing 3 grown men staring at an empty tank! lol

Ammonia spiked at about .50 2 weeks ago. Was at .25 last week

Last nights readings

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20ppm

Cycle complete!!

So starting with dry cured rock, and dry sand cycle time took around 3 weeks. I added a couple cups of my established sand, a cup from another reefer and some chaeto. I waited about the 2nd week when ammonia was .50 and added a bottle of IO Bio Spira . (Thanks Robert!) I was planning on using what Jim (Gimmito) used for his cycle (Dr.Tims one and only) but decided on the IO brand since it was in stock at Neptunes. With what the reviews were saying about it I was a bit skeptical on the product especially when the directions says "ready for fish" as soon as you add it. Not sure if it had any role the cycle process but ammonias gone a week or so after adding it so all's good! I definately wouldnt add livestock right after using it tho as the directions say.

Anyway, Did a 20 gallon water change and added 2 heads of trumpet coral, red chalice and blue and orange mushroom as testers. I'm kind of forced to transfer all my livestock ASAP since I may have to be out of my condo by the end of the month but I dont want to shock the system by adding everything all at once. What's a fast but safe rate I can add my livestock with minimal loss? Better yet, for those of you who has been thru a tank move, what was your experience with transferring your livestock?

Even though your ammonia is zero right now you may still not have a beefy enough bio filter to support everything eo make sure you keep testing just in case. hth's

LeviT said:
Even though your ammonia is zero right now you may still not have a beefy enough bio filter to support everything eo make sure you keep testing just in case. hth's
bigdeeezy said:
looking good bro! Did you already get rid of everything from your previous tank or are you going to transfer your goods over?

Wuts up Derek, got all the livestock transffered over already. Lost a few fish and corals but those that made it are getting color back. Majority look more vibrant than they did in the previous tank.

anathema said:
Nice rockwork!

Thank you, I'm debating on moving things around, maybe making 3 seperate islands. I have some shelf rock from my previous tank that i want to add.

LeviT said:

Thanks Levi, I tested today and params were in in check. Nitrate was a little high but I vacuumed the sump and did my water change so hopefully that helped. Didnt get a chance to test after.

Took a couple crappy pics. I was able to frag some of my SPS colonies before I lost them and they are already showing good growth. (starting to encrust where I Placed them.

sorry for the crappy pics.

Lastly a pic of the sump. Skimmer is kicking some bootay! this was about an hour after cleaning out the collection cup.

Hopefully I'll be able to fill it in with more corals in the next couple weeks.

All the photos have been removed. Can you upload one or two directly to bareefers? (or imgur.com) I am really curious what this tank looks like.

Been a little over 3 months since my last update so thought I would post some current pics.

et="_blank">
2.jpg

Thats all I got for now. I need some more yellows and orange to throw in there tho to get more contrast. Hope you all enjoy the pics. So far I been doing 1 water change per month at 40 gallons and vacuming the sump everytime. I typically do 2 per month but times been kinda hectic for me but I'll get back to 2 per month once thing settle down. I dose cal, alk and mag when i get the chance to but I dont really measure, I'll add maybe say a qtr cup of each. I havent tested since I got the tank cycled, something I know I should do soon but everything seems to be doing fine. Let me know what you all think! on what can be improved. Thanks!

Long story..., but in short the tank crashed due to contamination from the contractor. Will start a tank thread soon with details... just been bummed about the whole thing.

Anyone here using tropic eden reef flake sand? Thinking of swapping out my current sugar size for the reef flakes. Getting tired of the vortechs blowing sand away from the corners when They're turned up.

melly mel said:
Anyone here using tropic eden reef flake sand? Thinking of swapping out my current sugar size for the reef flakes. Getting tired of the vortechs blowing sand away from the corners when They're turned up.
Gimmito is. I almost ordered some but I was in a hurry..... not good normally but its working out so far :)

Back