Reef nutrition

Cutting Turbinaria

MolaMola

Supporting Member
So, what do you think? Cut the flat part growing out from the base? Then how would you place the main part - sticking up like it is now or mounting it horizontally? I do not understand the growth pattern of this thing. Maybe when I got it I should have cut it off its base and placed it horizontally to begin with. I was hoping it would grow into a bowl shape but it is obviously not that type.
The base is thick cement-like rock so I won't be able to cut off the whole flat ring like CoralReefer did with the chalice at the frag demo. Will try Dremel but might resort to chisel
Turbinaria.jpg

I think it is 6" or so in diameter. I want to get it off the huge base mainly, not really frag it for the sake of fragging, because otherwise it has to remain on the sandbed. Also, I'm trying to figure out its growth pattern because I don't want it to just encrust down over the massive plug. Can't figure out why it has the big slab sticking up but the rest is flat. Maybe it was glued down on end, which blocked it from just growing over the cut edge.
When I got it, it was light mint green. It is now medium green, really saturated with color. Is this good? Or is it full of zooxanthellae trying to get more light since it is down on the sand?

Back