darth maul chalice

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by JRocha, Jan 22, 2011.

1. JRocha

JRocha Supporting Member

So I have a 6 inch darth maul chalice colony that I am thinking about selling. So should I sell it as a whole or should I frag it out.

2. Reef Keeper

Reef Keeper Supporting Member

Frag and it and save a piece for me please :bigsmile: I'm in Montara

3. JRocha

JRocha Supporting Member

This is what it looks like with all my lights on
    [​IMG]

4. JRocha

JRocha Supporting Member

Under my ati blue plus
    [​IMG]

5. JRocha

JRocha Supporting Member

I've been leaning that way cause I'm sure no one wants to pay the big bucks for a big colony of it. Worldwidecorals sells a 3/4 inch piece of it for 99 dollars. My piece is about 6 inches in diameter and I can make hella frags from it. Just don't know how in demand the chalice is.

6. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

I'd be interested :)

7. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Nice coral, it doesn't look like teh DM though ;)

8. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

was going to say it's kind of funny someone asks for a piece in Montara of all places :D

9. JRocha

JRocha Supporting Member

Hmmm. Looks like fragging it is gonna be the best way to go about this. But I'm pretty sure you guys want it to be on a plug and healed up. So I have everything so it looks like you will see a post on the buy sell trade forum after they heal up. I will probably sell them for 60 each frag. I don't plan on fragging the whole piece probably just half of it.

10. JRocha

JRocha Supporting Member

It was sold to the original owner as a darth maul and then was given to me so I'm just going off of what was said to me.

11. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Funny, I'm the original owner of DM ;)

12. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

13. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Bloody Reef Rash even :D

14. tuberider

tuberider Guest

For the record that is the official name, I did not coin Darth Maul :D

15. northbay-reefer

northbay-reefer Honorary Member

I got a piece from Jeremy years ago through DBTC and have been fragging them back into DBTC a couple of times and I agree with Jeremy that does not look like DM

16. JRocha

JRocha Supporting Member

well can someone post a pic of the "real" darth maul chalice so I can see what it looks like. Cause I've seen so many different ones online and they all look different. On top of that how is it that there is only one original piece that came from the wild. You're telling me that there was only one in the ocean and the rest are fake.

17. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

no one is saying there was only one in the ocean. It really is just a huge naming fiasco that very easily can occur. WWC had a similar coral, they decided to call it Darth Maul as well, it differed from Jeremy's Darth Maul because it wasn't his, and it was a slightly different coloration, I believe Jer's was more black in it. I wouldn't worry terribly much about it being a "fake", you hit the nail on the head as far as there being many corals in the oceans, there's got to be at least one with similar coloration.

It's just kind of an inside joke around these parts because when Jeremy had his Darth Maul chalice only a few people had it, then one particular place decided to sell a piece of what they also called the DM chalice. The fun occurred on Reef Central when someone claimed WWC doesn't sell "fake corals" and that they got the real deal...

Bottom line, don't worry about it, names are names, there's more than one "Superman monti" out there, if you sell corals simply post a picture of what your's looks like and not rely on a "name" to describe it and all is well.

BTW here's a picture of a piece of Jeremy's that was being propagated and however I think he closed shop
    [​IMG]

18. JRocha

JRocha Supporting Member

Here is a pic of my limited edition psemicora in my girls tank
    :)
    [​IMG]

19. JRocha

JRocha Supporting Member

Ya this whole naming crap drives me crazy cause everyone has that special piece that nobody has and they name it and cause its named its worth more. Luckily I didn't pay for this chalice. Plus the pictures I took were with my driod and everyone uses different types of lights and color spectrums so no matter what every coral will look different unless you use the exact same lights and your water is the same which is damn near impossible. Cause every coral I have has changed colors after a few weeks of them being in my system. Shit I even named a coral. I will post a pic of it tomorrow but it was a hitchhiker on some live rock from fiji. The only other people who have the "jaime limited edition psemicora" which in my system is brown with orange mouths but in my girls system it is green with orange mouths. Joe and carson have the other colony which was brown with orange mouths.
    Anyway the pic doesn't show

20. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Thats a psammocora? Looks like a leptastrea to me :) nice either wat ;)

In this area more dm has been dbtc then sold i suspect.