Our mission

DBTC #1 Extra Super Extreme

Erick said:
The problem with naming corals is that everyone wants to name them and there isn't really anyone that can stop them. Darth Maul is a popular character so a lot of people with black and red corals will probably get to the Darth Maul name pretty easily. Then there are the people who think what they have is close enough to a named coral that will try and get LE/Named coral prices for theirs.

I didn't name it, my name was the bloody reefrash chalice, but Matt had other plans after I gave him a frag..... My issue is that I've never sold corals, so i find it illogical that people want to cash in on something that has never been on the market and only a half dozen frags exist, ergo by default it may seem as if I'm out there hocking coral I'm about taking the value out of coral, not making money ;)

I hope someday to learn a lot more about chalices' so that i can keep something that cool in my tank!

Maybe I'll find one more beginner friendly at the swap for me to sharpen my skills on?

There will be some chalice for sure, they are pretty finicky though for the most part, so make sure you ask the nice folks that are monitoring the picking area what they think, they are there to help.

BTW, I almost lost the DM during my tank move, it got down to four tiny little eyes and to my surprise is bouncing back, I'd feel really bad if I lost it.

Its a pretty slow grower. It took Tom over a year and a half to grow his frag out. I am not sure about how Bryan's frag is doing but mine has grown very little so far.

Mine is doing pretty well but honestly looks nothing like the original. Mine is more Red and Green then Red and Black. It is also hard to photograph because it needs to be extremely shaded.

seminolecpa said:
Mine is doing pretty well but honestly looks nothing like the original. Mine is more Red and Green then Red and Black. It is also hard to photograph because it needs to be extremely shaded.

Since there are no "moving parts", just set up a tripod and do a long exposure!

Here is my piece.
chalice-February1820101of4.jpg

northbay-reefer said:
Bryan, you are fragging yours already ? my mother colony is doing fine but like Jeremy said, sometime it likes to recede for no reason.

Yep decided to take most of my chalices out of the display tank because something is picking on them. Not sure what though. Since I had it out and it had about 5 or 6 eyes that I could see, I decided to go ahead and cut it in half. Both pieces seem fine post fragging and now reside in the garage.

seminolecpa said:
northbay-reefer said:
Bryan, you are fragging yours already ? my mother colony is doing fine but like Jeremy said, sometime it likes to recede for no reason.

Yep decided to take most of my chalices out of the display tank because something is picking on them. Not sure what though. Since I had it out and it had about 5 or 6 eyes that I could see, I decided to go ahead and cut it in half. Both pieces seem fine post fragging and now reside in the garage.

That's why I put interceptor in my tank :D eveyrhting are doing much better now. Mine should be ready to be frag again real soon

Mine is coming back with a vengeance, it came soooo close to death I was embarrassed. IME with DM, the lower the light the more black you get, it hates any kind of alk shift or mag below 1100, that's a surefire way to get it to recede. I've noticed that I have a few chalice that protest if my mag drops below 1100, especially the DM and my ginger stepchild, the GS is a real PITA I can't seem to get it back to its old form after the move.

Back