Cali Kid Corals

DBTC article in the next RHM!

I have only been a member since February and have received 2 DBTC frags so far. The next meeting will be the first one I will be attending and I will be receiving several more DBTC's.
As you maybe have seen in my tank tread, when I upgrade to a 156g, I started pretty much from scratch with only my live rock and a hammer and frogspawn.
In the last couple months I got to meet several great BAR members from whom I purchased frags and/or from whom I received free frags.
I have only been able to put two DBTC's in myself, from my hammer and frogspawn and for the rest I only have frags so won't be able to put anything else back until they grow out. I know that frags of any of my corals, not only received from DBTC but also the ones purchased or received for free from other BAR members will go back into DBTC and I can understand that there are people who are looking just to get as much as possible for free and not care about keeping the chain going.

If I would have been told that there are some requirements to participate in DBTC I would completely understand and think it is a great idea to do so if you would open the DBTC for anyone to view.

BAR was recommended to me by another member beginning this year and he never mentioned a word about DBTC. I was interested to become a member but hadn't really looked into it until a couple weeks later when I took some time to read the info about BAR. My main reason I wanted to join was to get to know other reefers in the bay area and go to meetings.

I only found out about DBTC after I joined. When DBTC is open for anyone to view then I think a lot of people will become a member just because of DBTC and just to receive as many as possible free corals. Becoming a BAR member should be for other reasons then just this I believe.

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=3422.msg40021#msg40021 date=1207690341]
[quote author=Elite link=topic=3422.msg40018#msg40018 date=1207688535]
Maybe we should open up the DBTC forum so people can see what's going on in there ;D ..

Just viewing only no posting for non-member[/quote]

Na, I'm not for advertising it like that.... I do think that new members need to acknowledge the club 's moto and maybe even DBTC info.
[/quote]
[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3422.msg40022#msg40022 date=1207690940]
Opening the flood gates can welcome mass numbers of people trying to get tons of free corals. Right now, we have a seemingly high ratio of DBTC "chains" vs "broken chains". I;d like to keep it that way.

[/quote]
[quote author=alve link=topic=3422.msg40023#msg40023 date=1207696099]

I only found out about DBTC after I joined. When DBTC is open for anyone to view then I think a lot of people will become a member just because of DBTC and just to receive as many as possible free corals. Becoming a BAR member should be for other reasons then just this I believe.
[/quote]
What are we going to do with Jeremy's coral since nobody taking them?? ;D j/k hehehe

I haven't seen the mag yet but if it says how great DBTC is in there and the only prove for people to see is that forum. If people can't see it, how would they know?

I can be honest with you guys that the first reason I joined BAR because of the swap. It took a little while for me to learn what BAR is all about. Good thing is I wasn't too greedy and asked for a bunch of free coral :D. Sometimes it takes a little bait to get them hook and then we can educate them slowly ;)..

IMO if 75% coral gave out come back, that would be pretty good.

Just something to think about... 8)

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3422.msg40022#msg40022 date=1207690940]
Opening the flood gates can welcome mass numbers of people trying to get tons of free corals. Right now, we have a seemingly high ratio of DBTC "chains" vs "broken chains". I;d like to keep it that way.

who knows. requirements to participate in DBTC may be needed, but who knows. A little speedbump can do wonders.

-must have a tank journal
-must have started a DBTC before receiving one
-must be a member for X long before receiving one
--etc

I am not saying any of these should be instituted, but ideas like those may need to be called in. I'm being the pessimist here. The optimist in me says that the good/bad DBTCers ratio will stay the same or improve :p

..edit: what about DBTC posting permissions being enabled only when people post in the DBTC mission statement that they have explicitly read and understood and plan on upholding it? Sorta like our own EULA :p
[/quote]

DTBC was intentionally made flexible without too many actual rules, because rules need to be enforced. The person posting the DBTC can add whatever 'rules' they like:
Must have already offered something through DBTC
Must be a BAR member for 2 months
Must have 20 non DBTC and non sales thread posts

If they feel them to be important. :D

BTW, the article is great!

a buddy of mine from the vet tech dept. brought me a copy...theres a quote from one of MY post...HAH! i had an ear to ear smile for the rest of the day knowing i got a chance to contribute to the article unknowingly...BTW the article is GREAT! Good job Norm! The pics used in there combined with the layout really do the corals justice...

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3422.msg40353#msg40353 date=1208016722]
Hehe.. we all rock! :D
[/quote]

Just the LPS/SPS people. The rest sorta just squish :p

I showed the article to my wife when I got home from the meeting and she thought that was really cool. When she says that it is a good thing because she doesn't care too much about corals, she keeps asking when we can get more fish instead of corals :)

Everyone's wives wants us to put puffers and seahorses in our reefs :D

Unless it's a 6g nanocube. Then it's anemones and clownfishes :D

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3422.msg40423#msg40423 date=1208064384]
Tiggerpods :D
[/quote]

"The most expensive fish ever....Mandarin Dragonette, The things we do to make our spouse happy....."
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=148998

Hi All,
I'm a former President of the Twin Cities Marine Aquarium Society (TCMAS). We were kicking around this idea when I read the article in the magazine. I joined this forum to see how this had caught on. Obviously, I'm not looking for free corals. I'm interested in giving them (in our club). Any chance (I live in Wisconsin) that I could check out that forum? I've got a similiar DBTC thread going on our site (ironically you can't see it as it's in the Premium Members section). I have a 450 gallon tank and I've been pretty fortunate to have my corals do really well. Due to the pests in the hobby my tank is on lock down (nothing goes in, just frags come out). Anywho, just thought it would be interesting to check out.

BTW, the one rule we are trying to implement is: If you accept a coral, you have to commit to donating at least one coral back to the program.

Either way, kudos to BAR.

Very similar to ours for the most part AFA as giving back. We are laid back in regards to individual coral rules dependent on the giver.

PM one of our BOD and I'm sure they would be happy to help you out with access.

Also, feel free to ask questions on our general forum, and we can help you out with what we've learned about rules/structure, and you can learn about tracking software that is being developed.

Pura Vida

ticomike, welcome to BAR. We also keep DBTC locked down to members only. A quick fix would be to join, it's only $20 which is just a drop in the bucket compared to you power bill :) Otherwise I'm sure someone from the BOD will be along shortly.

Back