Jestersix

DBTC ATL Sunset Monti

This frag is in the center of my tank so difficult to photograph clearly with my camera. The frag is on a one inch coral rubble chunk( the white, left side in the photo), and just under a half inch in size. It has moved onto the rubble. Atlantis had two different looking frags when I picked this one up. It is the deeper/richer orange of the two. Last week there was another frag like this one in the tiny frag case near the register. Under PC's the color has browned out some. It still shows orange fluorescence under moonlights. I have a second frag that is not as actively moving onto the rubble. It has two half inch by quarter inch sized frags on it. If more than one respond it will be in the chain too.

This is my first offering to DBTC. It is one of my first stony frags.

Rules from standard gardener's courtesy:
1. If someone sees it in your tank and says they like it you kindly offer them a free section next time you frag.
2. Put some back in the chain before you swap or trade.
3. I'm giving it to you how could you sell it?

Whoever answers this question correctly is for sure to get a frag. Anyone know the one thing that will without a doubt kill any plant given from one gardener to another?

I am sure 'too much love' has killed many a pass along plant. I am looking for the 'without a doubt' killer. Thanks for playing Steve! Yeah the picture looks like a water color because I trimmed it in so close.

I also have to disclaim that I have done the unthinkable once when someone gave me a plant and it lived. So there may be more belief in this than there is evidence of a 'without a doubt' killer.

Chris there is not much more gratifying than to load up a bunch of plants into someones trunk after all they said was, 'Ain't it purdy.'

Only playing (not for the frag though) :0

How about "neglect" or lack of love/care? You can even kill cactus with lack of care indoors.
The other thing I thought of was lack of knowledge.

BTW, great going on your DBTCs Richard! :D

Good efforts. Here is a hint. It usually happens at the end of the hand off. The gardener digs the plant the recipient places it in the car and then bam...The Killer emerges.

I have witnessed grandmothers scowl and frown after giving a plant away to someone, then the person, who does not know the customs, gives a hearty, happy, cheerful even ... 'Thank You!' Maybe even three thank you's together.

Never, and I mean ever, say thank you when someone gives you a plant from the flower or vegetable garden. Shrub, tree, bulb, runner, or clump. Never say thank you. The myth is it will for sure die. And what gardener after spending all the time growing it out and then digging it up wants to feel it was all in vain when they hear the perky thank you.

So this leads to creative ways to express how appreciative one would be for getting a free plant. 'I am going to have the best time planting this', or 'I have just the spot this clump is going to thrive in', or 'You just made my day', or 'That's about the best thing anyone has done for me in quite a while', or 'You sacrificed too much you shouldn't have'. In the moment the receiver just knows which one or other phrase is perfect to make the giver glow.

This also lets the giver know they are dealing with a true pass it forward gardener, and the plant will move on way after they are pushing daisies themselves.

Another well accepted phrase, and used often in our changing southern culture, is 'I am not going to say thank you because I want this plant to really take off in my garden too'. This lets the giver know you are in on the secret, and if the giver does not know the secret they are not offended to not get a tiny thank you even.

Steve given that when someone gives you something you are so eat up with love you let the thank you slip, I would be happy to pass this frag on to you, as long as you do not thank me. :) Then I will pass it to you with a little frown. :~

Lyn, I have not heard of it other places, but I have not been given plants here. When I do give them I warn against saying thank you and give several other things the recipient could say. Most people really get into the game of being aware of how great the gift is by talking about it some rather than just the short thank you.

The other two have grown out well. They are small. I will try to get photo up tomorrow. Still interested? Chris, Bernie, Jose? Others?

Pick up BAYMAC or Berkeley, The snails keep knocking them over so the new home is anticipated!

Thanks,

Great piece, Richard. I got a similar thing with naming fish. Every single one I've named surely dies within months. Thus, I just call 'em by their color (that blue fish or that yellow one and what not). I'll remember the no "thank you" taboo from now on as well.

Ron, pick up BAYMAC? My guess is you will like the new bare bottom tank. I will be siphoning the waste from mine tomorrow with water change, and it is a breeze to clean.

Anyone else like a frag? I will separate the double on coral rubble in the center of the photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39059698@N08/3584669534/

Richard, I might not be able to make it to BAYMAC. But I will be working in Oakland tomorrow and I could swing by to pick it up if it's ok with you. I'll pm you my phone #. So far, I really like the BB tank, no more worry of sand storm. Thanks

Ron

Back