DBTC - Black Branching Sponge

Discussion in 'DBTC - Other' started by jeepboy_90, May 30, 2009.

statistics
No Transactions
None
Please email your web administrator with a link to this thread if you want to add this thread to the DBTC database!!
  1. jeepboy_90

jeepboy_90 Guest

I have a sponge in my tank that is black with white tips. Its grows out and looks like a antler from an deer or elk.

I can provide 4 frags of this to BAYMAC.

Standard DBTC Rules apply.

Please pick a number 1-20

Will try to post pictures tonight.

2. mray2660

mray2660 Treasurer

I would like to be considered for a frag #2

I will be at Baymac

Mike

3. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Sounds cool looking!

4. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

iirc, a sponge exposed to air is a dead sponge, so careful on fragging and re-transplanting :)

5. Lyn

Lyn Guest

How come I can't get my sponges to die? I even expose them to air! I don't have the neat looking kind, just the creeping kind that gets over everything. :(

6. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Cuz he's only half right :) Many don't seem to mind what so ever. This one sounds like the chicken liver sponge. Actually partially photosynthetic IIRC as it gets more black in light and white in the dark. Sound like yours Jed?

7. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Sound like the ones Ive dealt with. I have a tank with a hand sized colony that looks super cool!

8. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

Sounds like a cool sponge, lives in little light or regular light. How about a pic?

9. jeepboy_90

jeepboy_90 Guest

This is a very bad picture, poor quality. But gives you an idea of the sponge. It is growing out of the zoas. Also as Gresh said, which I never noticed it is black with light and white where it is not.

[​IMG]

10. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

That's it :) My friend in Oakland breaks out in hives with any contact with it. If a piece got disturbed in his tank he even breaks out.

11. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

with that discription G, it looks like the sponge I got too! well, one of the three type I got of significant mass.

12. Orion

Orion Guest

I would love to be considerd for a frag of this great looking sponge. I pick # 7

13. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

Looks cool, I'd like to be considered as well- I'll be at BAYMAC. I pick #13.

14. jeepboy_90

jeepboy_90 Guest

So far:

mray2660
    Orion
    CookieJar

any others?

15. jeepboy_90

jeepboy_90 Guest

This has doubled, if not tripled in the tank since BAYAMC. If anyone else would like to give it a try let me know, I will bring to the swap.

16. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

For the one I got at BAYMAC, it doesn't have much growth, not even close to doubled. It's sitting in a relative low flow and very low light area.

17. jeepboy_90

jeepboy_90 Guest

Try higher light. It will take off. A piece got high in my tank and was growing very fast, maybe an inch plus a week. I will try to post pictures to show grow from last month.

18. adolfo425

adolfo425 Guest

I have some of this growing in nicely in my 20 long. I can offer up a frag or 2 of this sponge if anyone wants to pick up in San jose or Sunnyvale.