Cali Kid Corals

DBTC ORA Stuber Staghorn (?)

I can make 2 frags of this staghorn. Little backstory: I bought a 2" frag of this last year from Reefermadness as a ORA Miami Orchid. I can't for the life of me remember what it looked like when I got it, and I inexplicably do not have pictures of it. Now that it's grown out, it really doesn't look like a Miami Orchid to me at all, but it does look very much like the ORA Stuber Staghorn. So maybe RM mixed something up. Then again, things look different in different tanks, but this just doesn't look like a Miami Orchid to me. I'm posting a picture of the actual one I have, and a picture from LiveAquaria for comparison.

2295856226_bbb8ddfab1.jpg

lg_80880.jpg

Usual rules:

- you are a BAR member
- you are able to keep SPS in your tank
- you agree to frag to at least 3 other people for free before trading or selling (it grows fast)
- you agree to give me back a frag if my tank crashes or I lose the colony
- growth pics would be great!

Pickup in Dublin, or I can deliver at the next meeting.

That does look like a Stub, I'd love a piece. That's a coral I haven't had for at least 13 years, I'd love to renew my love affair.

I'll throw a little background in on this coral, I'll be general so I'm somewhat correct ;). The coral in question is one of, if not the first propped Acros in the hobby. It actually grew from a piece of liverock in Dietrich Stuber's tank I want to say somewhere around 20 years ago, it was not from a wild colony as was the case with 99% of Acros at that time. At that point I don't want to admit how many colonies ALL reefers were killing in order to keep a couple of Acros alive. It is extremely hardy, and adapts to many water qualities and lighting schemes (it better be hardy after being traded around for so long). We received a piece while I was at World Wide Aquarium that was brought to us by a young Julian Sprung ~1991, it took off in the show tank and got large enough to frag quickly. I got a frag ~1992 and kept it in my reef at home until ~1994 when I moved beck to the West Coast, at that point it had grown from a little 1" frag to a colony the size of your hand (hand size may vary, mine are big enough to play string bass). This lineage is a piece of reefing history, and is quite an attractive coral under the right conditions.

Any old schoolers want to chime in feel free.

I am not an old schooler by any mean, but my understanding of this coral is the same. it is actualy a hitchhicker :) It is not the prettiest SPS out there, but very historical piece. If no other taker, I would like a piece of this historical SPS ... :)

Sweet, had no idea this coral actually had a history! Let me know if you guys want to pick up the frags or delivered at the next meeting. It's definitely hardy, and grows astonishingly fast.

"Dietrich Stuber is famous as the first person to successfully maintain Acropora in captivity. Today, clones of this variant are sold as Stuber's Acropora."

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rv/feature/index.php

Yep, historic coral :D

I'll get in line for a Roy or Jeremy propped one :D

At the rate they grow stuff, I'll only have to wait like 3 weeks, haha :D

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3195.msg35630#msg35630 date=1204267999]
Ya, I don't get how some of you grow things so damn fast.
[/quote]One word Brawndo ;)

Back