High Tide Aquatics

DBTC - Rare Nepthea

Hey guys. This is my first time posting on the BAR forum at all, so bear with me. What brings me to post is that I just has Bob from AAF over, and I was asking him about some of the corals in my tank. (For example, "Bob, what kind of hairy mushroom is this?" Bob: "Green hairy mushroom." And so on.) I was looking for cool names, I guess.

Anyway, I asked him about this one coral that I thought might be a kenya tree, and he says it's a rare green nepthea. Rare because the mother colony in the philipines (I think) overheated during the summer and just melted away. So there's not much left of it in the world.

So my first instinct, in the mindset of preserving the reefs, pushing captive propogation, and all that other jazz, is to pass frags off to people who know what they're doing. I'm lucky it has lasted this long, but I'd like to diversify it a bit. If there's ANY basket that all of some corals eggs should be in, it's not mine!

So I don't know where I got it or if there's any interest in it, but BAR DBTC is the first place I thought I should go with it.

So...now what? Do I wait for interest? Is there someone who is better with fragging that can frag it for me?

Thanks,
Tom

Sure thing. I'm not going to frag it today, but when I do you'll get one. Bob said it was hard to frag because it is so slimey. So I need to read about it for a bit first.

Nice one, Tom :D

You can lightly pinch a branch of it between 2 pieces of rubble. Use a rubber band.

After the coral attaches, you can snip it off below the rocks.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=2982.msg32036#msg32036 date=1202495492]
I would like to see some pics 8) ..
[/quote]

Here is one, does that work for you LOL :) just messing with you
DFtD.jpg

From Gresham:

"I talked with Matt about the lineage of this coral recently and found out something I didn't know. He'd like it to be called something different as it doesn't give any credit to the poeple he got it from, Phil and Theresa. They imported it and a bunch of other stuff from Palau themselves and distributed it amongst early club members and other locals. They where very cool people, I had the pleasure of them being some of my regular customers when I worked at a LFS in Santa Cruz. They've since moved to Rotan where they do real estate and live the tropical life

I suggest Phileresa Schmucks Earthboy Palau Green Nepthea "

(I added Schmucks and Earthboy, presumably the chain it has gone down, although I still don't know where I got it.)

So two questions remain:

1. Is this indeed a rare coral (rarer now than it was last year because of the heat spike killing off the mother colony)?

2. Should I move this discussion to the thread Elite referenced? Or should I continue this here?

It's commonly been said among reefers for quite a while now that green nepthea is extinct in the wild. I haven't seen any specific documentation or research on that... only that that's what people say.

If your nepthea didn't come as a DBTC from the other thread, you can do your own here. That's perfectly fine!

So I have requests from
bookfish
and
LordHelmet

I think I could easily make two frags from this, probably many more. Is there anyone east bay who can help with this? Bob was saying something about using a toothpick inside a rock to impale it, since the slime makes it difficult for glue to stick. I don't know how I would rubberband two rocks to it. Anyone in the area to assist?

If not I'll take my chances next week or so.

Book/Lord when would you be able to pick up? Where are you located? I'm Concord

[quote author=Earthboy17 link=topic=2982.msg32459#msg32459 date=1202777765]I don't know how I would rubberband two rocks to it.[/quote]

Just do something like in the attached pic.

Pinch the coral between a couple rocks. Slip a rubberband down around the whole business. Rocks and future frag.

You have to try not to handle the coral too much or it'll shrink before you have a chance to
rubberband it.

After about a week or so, the coral should be attached to the rocks. Then snip off the attached portion below the rocks with sharp scissors.

Back