got ethical husbandry?

DBTC: Red Dragon

I used 5 mL Bayer advanced insect killer complete per cup of tank water and dip for 5-10 minutes. However, a few days after the red dragon RTNed, the other SPS in my quarantine tank also started looking badly. I wonder now if temperature swings and/or non-optimal alkalinity levels are really what killed the red dragon frag. Regardless, this thing is really sensitive so be careful!

I did some reading on this. There are a lot of posts on other forums about people loosing smooth skinned Acros (Enchinata, Turaki, Caroliniana & Dragons) to dips. Between Bayers, Rx & Revive, there's no clear winner cos people using all of these have mostly had negative reactions, a few positives...

Lot of people suggest either QT'ing or risking straight to DT w/o dipping (if you trust the source). 90% of the posts I saw are RTN overnight after dip, so you're not alone here. People have had better luck with stronger dips for short time (3-5min) over normal dip for long periods (10-15min).

Bad news! I came home from vacation today and 3/4 of the Red Dragon colony RTN and all of the frags are goners :( hopefully it comes back. Planning to do big water change tomorrow. Hopefully it recovers and I can get the dbtc to all of you!

Bad news! I came home from vacation today and 3/4 of the Red Dragon colony RTN and all of the frags are goners :( hopefully it comes back. Planning to do big water change tomorrow. Hopefully it recovers and I can get the dbtc to all of you!
Sorry to hear - hope you had a nice vacation and that everything recovers....

Yes, it is. All of my other corals are doing well. As of this morning only a small portion at the very bottom is still alive. I hope it pull through so I can grow it out and jump start this DBTC again.

Back