Our mission

DBTC - Sponsor Edition :)

Mr. Ugly

Past President
Ok, super last minute post...

We'd been talking about extending our DBTC activities to our sponsors. It might go under a slightly different name, and just like with our regular program, we want to see what positive things might develop from it.

The main thing is that a participating sponsor will set aside and maintain a space in their store for showcasing BAR donated captive propagated corals. It helps us promote our club and our mission of education and propagation. It also shows customers and newbie reefers the possibilities of the hobby.

Our sponsors will help us do outreach to new reefers that can benefit the most from our information and resources. If things go well, BAR will become like the BORG of reefing, and all newbies will be assimilated :D

Sponsors won't be selling the BAR frags/colonies, but will use them to promote propagation and proper coral care. They might pass out frags of the mother colonies, but it will be left to them to innovate ways to be reefy like BAR :D

I've talked to several sponsors who are interested in varying degrees. We'll be starting out slowly to see how things work.

Anyway, first one to step up to the challenge officially is Steve at New Alameda Aquatics. (There's some informal stuff in progress with other sponsors)

I'll be taking some of my red prostrata to him today. Gonna look for some other stuff as well.

If anybody would like to get in on this, you can bring stuff to the meeting today 6/14. I'll drop them off to NAA afterwards.

You also can get in touch with Steve directly and work things out if that's more convenient.

Hopefully we can have some stuff going in time for another DBTC magazine article :D

Norm, I have a few of the Blue palys (powderlime-blue for me), another pally (orange, with green and a big neon orange mouth) and neon toadstools. I am 100% happy to donate them to sponsors for them to frag away as propogated corals if you think they will want them. Not sure if those are too "common" and we are just looking to "super" spread rares.

The "other" palys look like the ones here at the very top (you can see ~ 5 polyps in the photo)
http://seasplendoraquarium.com/images/0202.JPG

No prob, anytime is fine Tony. Or if you want to pop in to see Steve, you could talk to him a bit about things he could try with this new program.

Some thoughts have been that frags are not for sale, but could go to customers if they bought other stuff. The sponsor store could tell the customer about BAR and explain that the colonies were 100% captive grown by club members/sponsor.

The sponsor could encourage the person to sign up on the BAR forums and join in on the tank and reef care discussions.

If the person wanted another frag from the BAR display, maybe they could grow out the one that they have and trade a piece of it for the next one. Something along those lines to encourage people to be successful at reefing.

It will be interesting to see what kinds of ideas develop from this :D

I had an idea about this... it would be cool if it worked like an in-store frag swap. Customers could bring frags in and trade them for other frags. In the spirit of DBTC, customers could be required to donate two frags for every one they take. If the store ended up with too many frags or multiples of the same one, they could sell the extras to help defray their costs.

It might be necessary to have some sort of point system (where common/fast growing corals are worth less and rare slow growing corals are worth more) to keep it fair.

Oh, you mentioned the idea of trading in your last post! Sorry, I missed that till just now. Anyway, it sounds neat whatever way it goes.

I think that is a great Idea. It helps get the BAR name out there and also gets it out there in a positive way. It also helps to show the posibilties using capitive growen coral in your tank.

If anyone going to the BOD meeting would like to donate frags to the NAA tank, I can pick them up and deliver on Sat. Thanks

Back