Kessil

DBTC Trades, POST COMPLETED TRANSACTIONS HERE

Yesterday at the meeting one of the members came to me with a suggestion for somewhat automating the DBTC so that users could update it as they complete transactions and trades and tracking of said corals. Now I'm not a computer wiz on the software side of things, so I thought up this simple solution, if someone who's handy with webpages/programming/idea thinkin' can come up with something else I'm all ears.. er eyes.

The way it is now it's almost impossible for me to keep up with this program unless I check for new messages every day and track them on a daily basis which I don't have the time nor desire to do quite frankly, every time I do an update I literally have to go back to day one and check all the corals/trades that went on which is a helluva lot of work.

So the purpose of this thread, is for those who have given/received corals, to post that transaction in this thread! Now if you want to post in your own thread that's fine, but for purposes of tracking chains I will stop looking at individual threads and only do statistics from what's posted here. Perhaps those who are giving corals can also make part of their "Standard DBTC rules" the receiver must post what they got so that there's one less thing for them to do... just an idea ;)

So the format that I would like is simple

<Who gave the coral> - <What coral got exchanged> - <Who got the coral>

As simple as that, then updating the statistics is as simple as looking from the date I last updated and seeing what was posted after.

I'll do one last update of the messages either today or tomorrow, however starting Monday June 10, 2007 I will not be looking at individual threads as far as statistics for this program are.

Thank you for your time, and keep the trading going!
Mike.

Since I was "one of the members" I probably could create a simple PHP script where you can state your name, what coral you've got, and from which person and then generate stats on each particular frag and person.

If anyone with PHP/SQl skills wants to help (hey this is Bay Area) - please PM me.

[quote author=Zepplock link=topic=2136.msg21096#msg21096 date=1181499312]
Since I was "one of the members" I probably could create a simple PHP script where you can state your name, what coral you've got, and from which person and then generate stats on each particular frag and person.

If anyone with PHP/SQl skills wants to help (hey this is Bay Area) - please PM me.
[/quote]

haha sure I can help =) We need a webserver with a simple MySQL database. This project may be too simple to use any complex framework, so we could do simple PEAR database transactions.

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2136.msg21110#msg21110 date=1181514812]
[quote author=Zepplock link=topic=2136.msg21096#msg21096 date=1181499312]

[/quote]

haha sure I can help =) We need a webserver with a simple MySQL database. This project may be too simple to use any complex framework, so we could do simple PEAR database transactions.
[/quote]

I have a hosting we could use.
You have IM?

Easier to track by frags than by person.

The 2nd template I set up works that way, Mike.

Every frag is a new record in the database. Just add fields for whatever you want to track.

coral/original donor/from/to/generation/date

Underoos Favia/Mike/Mike/Eileen/1/feb. 2, 2007
Underoos Favia/Mike/Mike/Perry/1/feb. 2, 2007
Nuclear Mishap Acro/Mike/Mike/Norman/1/feb. 2, 2007
Green Nepthea/Jim/Jim/Steve/1/June 9, 2007
Underoos Favia/Mike/Eileen/Alvin/2/June 9, 2007

All the other info for people stats, number of frags in the program, list of species etc can be derived easily from the data.

People can post each frag passed on to a tracking thread as has been suggested.

So hypothetically, going by the above format, I would just post a new frag like this:

Pink cap/Mike/Norman/Kenzo/2/March 3, 2007

Mike could just copy and paste that as a new entry into an Excel spreadsheet.

Makes it easy to do data analysis.

Well the other spreadsheet I saw had kind of an outline structure. And it went by donor and what was contributed. That's fine if you want to manually/visually go through the info and figure stuff out. And if the focus is on the person.

If we make each unique frag an entry in a flatfile database, and each field has the information filled in, we/I can use Excel autofiltering or whatever to do data analysis really easily.

Ok, checked the template... I had been thinking about tracking:

DBTC Coral Common Name Scientific Name Chain Starter Giver Receiver Offer Date Tranfer Date Frag Generation Frag Status Notes DBTC url

We can add or subtract fields as appropriate.

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2136.msg21153#msg21153 date=1181581021]
so we're not putting it in fancy PHP SQL ? =)
[/quote]

I think we do ;-)
PM me.

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2136.msg21153#msg21153 date=1181581021]
so we're not putting it in fancy PHP SQL ? =)
[/quote]

For now, no. There's an extremely simple solution at hand, simply post your transactions here. Doesn't require any more work, don't need to do anything fancy, K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) idea works in this instance. If someone wants to work on something fancy elegant on their own, then we'll see what goes of it, however I'm not going to be involved in that.

So feel free to work amongst yourselves, discuss it, just don't use this thread for discussion please :)

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2136.msg21126#msg21126 date=1181531532]
ok ok, I'll have to fish through it to learn it Norman, but where did you put this template?[/quote]

ygpm :D

small blue clove looking polyps/Doug/Doug/raddogz
" "/Nash
" "/Dyngoe
" "/Patchin
" "/xinumaster

Bright Green Polyp Encrusting Monti/Doug/Doug/zepplock
" "/xinumaster

All frags were delivered on June 09,2007

Hello Mike if I messed this up let me know and I'll try to fix it :)

Purple Zoa/CitS/CitS/1/Natterjak/May 2007
Purple Zoa/CitS/CitS/1/Raddogz/May 2007
Purple Zoa/CitS/CitS/1/dswong01/June 9, 2007

So at the risk of sounding completely nuts, I think I have a solution to this! My company just finished a show case app for Microsoft, called Family Show. The whole concept is geneology and family trees, but with a little imagination I can easily map a "Family" Tree to a "Propagator/Coral" tree ...
Check out http://www.vertigo.com/familyshow.aspx and http://www.codeplex.com/familyshow for the details.

I think I'm gonna play with it and then convince Mike this is the way to go ;)

Back