DBTC-X WIBGI

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by sfsuphysics, Mar 17, 2009.

1. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5180.msg66508#msg66508 date=1228069852]
    We actually talked about a subcommittee to decide, but went with the idea of giving the membership some say since it is their coral :)
    [/quote]
    Just was brainstorming (I do this when I procrastinate from work related things :D) about the whole Xtreme thing. How about letting ALL members get some say in it? As it stands now the only votes that really count are the yes ones, and a few times I've not voted on something because I was going to vote no. But no votes don't mean anything, as it stands now if you have 100 people say no, and only 10 say yes it still gets counted as an Xtreme coral.

Now I don't know if this was done purposefully this way, or not, but if I might toss in a WIBGI suggestion....
    How about making the criteria for an X-treme coral be that there are 10 MORE yes votes than no votes.
    So if 5 people vote no, then at least 15 need to vote yes. I mean lets be honest there are corals out there that some people just think are more extreme than others, a new reefer might think anything non-brown is extreme, and since you are trying to encourage people to vote when polls pop up, you really are sending the message only vote if you want this coral moved.

To further bounce ideas off this too, make sure polls allow people to change their vote too, so corals can lose their Xtreme status, it'd be neat if you can program this feature in but being as I know nothing about programming don't know how easy/hard/feasible that could be (not requesting it either... just brainstorming I said :D) that way Bryan or whatever mod with his eye on the board doesn't need to keep an eye on threads.

2. tuberider

tuberider Guest

That's a good idea, the only problem I see is the, for example, the babies breath Favia as of yesterday has only had 10 votes, where do you go from there?

I personally feel we don't need the x-treme category once the tracking is figured out, which should be very soon.

3. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

I think we should elect a group of knowledgeable people that can decide among themself if the coral going to dbtc should be categories as X-treme or not. Just my suggestion.

4. Elite

Elite Guest

[quote author=xinumaster link=topic=6919.msg89429#msg89429 date=1237306628]
    I think we should elect a group of knowledgeable people that can decide among themself if the coral going to dbtc should be categories as X-treme or not. Just my suggestion.
    [/quote]
    Yeah.. I see some "hater" vote NO on something that everyone think it's a yes..
    like this ::).. how can you vote NO on that??
    http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=6837.0

I only vote when the piece is really nice. Like the one above :D .. I rarely vote no cause I don't know enough. Some of the piece looks ugly to me but that doesn't mean it's not rare. ;D :D

5. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Guest

+1 on what Perry said..

[/quote]

6. sfsuphysics

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=6919.msg89425#msg89425 date=1237306214]
    That's a good idea, the only problem I see is the, for example, the babies breath Favia as of yesterday has only had 10 votes, where do you go from there?
    [/quote]
    Well like any idea it's open to interpretation of how you think things should be done. I have 3 ideas for a scenario such as this

1) Have the polls open for a set time (week or two maybe?) enough time such that members that are active on this board have a chance to vote, and after that if it has 10 more yes votes than no votes, Xtreme it, if not it stays in the brinks of DBTC-Normal hell :D. (IIRC putting a time limit on a poll is something the thread starter can do now)

2) Give a set time for no votes to come in from active members, similar to the one above (a week or two on the DBTC board before it's even considered to move to DBTC-X) and if it has 10 more yes votes than no votes move it after that time period regardless of how many additional no votes come, if it doesn't have 10 more yes votes then people can continue to vote for it if they so desire and when/if it gets 10 more yes votes move it over.

3) No time limits, the minute it gets 10 more yes votes than no votes move it to DBTC-X.

Elite/DrD: I think that was mentioned in the "how things are done now" in the DBTC-X sub-forum, but was nixed to give members a chance to decide. I can see potential problems with that, as there are a few members that could be ultra-conservative coral snobs :D What if one of them gets on the committee? What if the committee is made up of a bunch of other such snobs? Nothing would get DBTC-X status :D

7. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

rather then doing votes counts why not just tag a ratio to it. In order to win it needs X%.

8. sfsuphysics

The problem with percentage, is 15:5 ratio is not the same as a 11:1 ratio

1:0 ratio would be infinite.

Of course you could simplify it I guess by having greater than 50%, then just put a time limit on the vote, so the first person who votes yes doesn't automatically turn it into a DBTC-X coral.

9. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

DBTC-X isn't as much about definitive arbitration of X-ness as it is about having fun.

Isn't it good enough just to have "10 people liked it" as our definition of X-ness?

Or maybe the definition process itself needs to be extreme :D

10. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

I think we should elect a group of knowledgeable people that can decide among themself if the coral going to dbtc should be categories as X-treme or not.[/quote]

BAR is knowledgeable. What if we had a poll, and let the club members vote on it....

:D

11. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=6919.msg89411#msg89411 date=1237305109]To further bounce ideas off this too, make sure polls allow people to change their vote too, so corals can lose their Xtreme status[/quote]

The coral formerly known as X-Treme :D

So sad... the Britney Spears Edition :D

12. tuberider

tuberider Guest

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=6919.msg89538#msg89538 date=1237319035]
    [quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=6919.msg89411#msg89411 date=1237305109]To further bounce ideas off this too, make sure polls allow people to change their vote too, so corals can lose their Xtreme status[/quote]

The coral formerly known as X-Treme :D

So sad... the Britney Spears Edition :D
    [/quote]

She's back to extreme in my book ;), things can change.

13. Roc

Roc Guest

Why not list the names of who voted, then maybe ppl would really stand behind there vote

14. Lyn

Lyn Guest

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=6919.msg89425#msg89425 date=1237306214]

I personally feel we don't need the x-treme category once the tracking is figured out, which should be very soon.
    [/quote]

I agree. I have never really seen the point to the x-treme category. If I am unfamiliar with a particular coral, it is X-treme to me. ;D Perhaps other newbies feel the same way? What makes a coral rare or extreme? Is it something just discovered at 1000 feet...there might be lots of them down there, but not very accessible. Or maybe sellers are holding and releasing slowly so it drives the price up? Like the Debeers family and the diamond industry.

What is the purpose of the X-treme category if not to segregate the club? The Haves Vs. the Have Nots? Or is it the Knowledgable VS. the Ignorant? What happens once a coral is given the X-treme status? Does it kick out or elliminate certain people from getting it even though the coral may be easy to keep?

I think people might be intimidated by the X-treme category, that is why you don't see 50 peope voting, but then again, why is it necessary? I thought the X-treme category was eliminated from the swaps because it fostered a frenzied response, and that is something the club wanted to eliminate?

Someone please enlighten me as to the purpose of this category. :)

15. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Damm, Sherri's getting Shakespearean on us with the amazing prose and making some good points regarding the haves and have nots.

To answer your question Sherri, it started out as a jovial joke and turned into something that we as a club took up in order to expand the program and have a little fun. At this point though it has become clear to many of us that the person who is offering the frag is the ultimate "decider" AFA who gets the frag. In retrospect it was a way to delineate the "line for free corals" from the "I seriously want to prop that coral" group. As the program has moved along it may be that we have no need for the group, or it may mean that we need to change the rules to satisfy a purpose.

I know I didn't answer you question completely, I do hope though that I helped shed some light on your concerns.

16. Lyn

Lyn Guest

Thanks Jeremy... I think I understand a bit better, although what you explained is not clear to those reading the posts. :)

Lets have more fun!... ;D

17. Elite

Elite Guest

I thought the X-treme category goal is to drive down those crazy price out there?? ??? ;D

18. tuberider

tuberider Guest

[quote author=Elite link=topic=6919.msg89696#msg89696 date=1237345874]
    I thought the X-treme category goal is to drive down those crazy price out there?? ??? ;D
    [/quote]

Cheap bastid :D, no way, it was to make things more affordable to you when we grow everything out ;D

19. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I [quote author=Elite link=topic=6919.msg89696#msg89696 date=1237345874]
    [/quote]

Personally I want to see fish prices doubled or even tripled in some cases and corals doubled as well. WAY too many people burn though both since they're so cheap. These are animals flown half way around the world. The resources to do such takes it's toll on the planet. That being said, I'm not talking about the $250 a coralite dealos but rather wild. Needless to say that will drive up the prop frags as well though.

20. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

[quote author=Elite link=topic=6919.msg89696#msg89696 date=1237345874]
    [/quote]

The purpose of the original X-treme was to do something fun during a lull in DBTC activity.

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=2638.0

It was right before X-mas holidays, and I thought it would be cool to spread some X-mas spirit.

Also, I'd been looking at video game expansion packs. This that or the other "Edition". That year "extreme" seemed to be a popular adjective for various consumer products.

Also it was a tongue in cheek reference to Auction Edition corals.

So... X-treme Edition frags :D

And shortly afterwards, Eric went and kicked my coral farmer ass, haha :D