[Dec 14, 2013] Rich Ross Talk & Potluck 12/14/13 (Hayward, CA)

Discussion in 'Events & Announcements' started by gimmito, Nov 17, 2013.

Rich Ross Talk & Potluck 12/14/13
Start Date: Dec 14, 2013 01:00 PM
End Date: Dec 14, 2013 03:00 PM
Time Zone: America/Los_Angeles -08:00 PST

25555 Hesperian Blvd. Room 722
Hayward, CA 94545

Posted By: gimmito

Confirmed Attendees: 15
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "No":
  1. gimmito

gimmito Guest

[​IMG]

BAR is proud to announce Rich Ross of the Steinhart Aquarium to close out our stellar line up of guest speakers in 2013. Please vote what talk you would like to hear at this link: http://www.bareefers.org/forum/inde...-would-you-like-to-hear-from-rich-ross.15954/ Along with the talk, BAR has a long standing tradition of potlucks that feature some great food. Please indicate what you will bring and don't forget to RSVP. :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. Get ready for over-the-top hilarity. Rich is one of the most entertaining speakers you'll see!

Will be bringing spicy guacamole with chips again - it's one of the few things I am able to make.

DeeAnnMG and neuro like this.
  3. I don't think 2 hours is enough for Mr. Ross .Fun guy to talk too also.

Lapsan

4. DeeAnnMG

DeeAnnMG Guest

Count me in.

5. You may be a whiz at hacking up corals and propagating them, but how good are you with a kitchen knife? ;)

Let's get the ball rolling on what y'all are bringing to the potluck! (I'm going to regret this because I always get hungry as I'm perusing through what everyone's planning to make)

DeeAnnMG likes this.
  6. DeeAnnMG

DeeAnnMG Guest

Do you guys like Mexican food? My go-to potluck dish is chicken salad tostadas. I can bring that.

7. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

Since I just finished baking a pumpkin to make pie tomorrow, I guess I'll make something with pumpkin in it. Leaning toward cupcakes since they are so easy to deal with at a potluck.

Now I've made myself hungry! Tostadas didn't help, just reinforced the need for food!!! :)

DeeAnnMG likes this.
  8. Mmm... Tostadas and pumpkin cupcakes sound positively delightful!

John, does sugar pumpkin puree keep well in the refrigerator? I've always used pumpkin puree within a couple days, just curious about your experience with the refrigerated shelf life.

DeeAnnMG likes this.
  9. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

Never used fresh punkin before. The portion not used tomorrow is frozen. Two weeks in frig seems long for what looks like 'growth media'. :)

This thread is officially OFF TOPIC!

DeeAnnMG likes this.
  10. When the topics of discussion are Rich Ross and potlucks, name anything and I'll make a connection in three steps. There's nothing irrelevant under the sun. :D

For anyone uninitiated with BAR potlucks:
    1. Homemade dishes are preferred!
    2. There is a refrigerator/freezer available if needed, and a toaster oven (possibly also a microwave). Our potlucks are more picnic style so room temperature dishes are ideal.
    3. Please try to bring any servingware your dish needs, and post in this thread if you're bringing anything that can't be plated onto a paper plate and consumed using a fork.
    4. Labels are great! You can print your own at home or create one at the event, indicating what your dish is and who brought it. Going the extra step and identifying which ingredients are in your dish (to prevent allergic reactions) makes you a superstar!
    5. Portion: This is a little challenging, just bring what you're comfortable with. My own rule of thumb is to bring enough for 10 to 12 people to have a typical "side" portion.

DeeAnnMG likes this.
  11. DeeAnnMG

DeeAnnMG Guest

Thanks for the... rules of initiation(?). :) I would have had them all covered except for the label. I'll be sure to bring that along.

12. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Supporting Member

David, will there be electric plugs available near where we're setting up the food tables? I was thinking about making something in the crockpot and then just bringing the crockpot and plugging it in there to keep the food warm.

DeeAnnMG likes this.
  13. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Yeah I don't recall having a potluck in that room, not sure if there plugs available. Steve would be the best person to answer this, it might not do well if a bunch of people brought crock pots and plugged them in all at the same time :D

Not sure if I want to do sweet or savory though, I always prefer non-sweets at potlucks from a person who's eating (mostly because I have a bit of a sweet tooth and very low will power), but what do others think? Pumpkin cheese cake? Or bean heavy chili?

14. F6553066

F6553066 Guest

I will be bringing a Lasagna.

DeeAnnMG likes this.
  15. mediumrare

mediumrare Guest

ill bring fruit, unless someone already called it.

16. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Supporting Member

I'll bring Snickerdoodles and maybe something else if I'm in a cooking mood :)

17. zeroinverse

zeroinverse Guest

I will bring some Japanese chicken curry and rice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. zeroinverse

zeroinverse Guest

Maybe I missed it. What time does it start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. DeeAnnMG

DeeAnnMG Guest

It says 1-3pm at the top of this thread, but will that be enough time for the potluck and 2 talks?

20. zeroinverse

zeroinverse Guest

Hahaha!
    Thanks for response! Viewing it on Tapatalk iphone app did not show the fancy map & event details.
    Dur on my part!

DeeAnnMG likes this.