December Meeting/Potluck - December 13

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=5159.msg63758#msg63758 date=1226542709]
I was thinking of biking there. :D
[/quote]

After all the food you might want to...

[quote author=Tumbleweed link=topic=5159.msg63778#msg63778 date=1226549391]
If I can make it I will bring home made Egg Rolls
[/quote]
VNese's egg roll?? Your wife making it??

I was wondering if we would have a real potluck for December since it would be the festive thing to do. People from Hawaii love potlucks! I'll bring a dessert and something else...Any suggestions? I love to cook.

I have family in Maui that lives in keyehe. Every potluck there had ponsit lyn. *hint. if you make it ill bring lemons from my tree outside

Kihei Maui? That's where I stayed when I went, never got a chance to sample the local foods though (except spam of course :D) because honestly I didn't see anything I'd consider "Hawaiian" other than a luau and I didn't really want to fork over $100 a person for it.

Been a long time since I've had balut.

Still considering riding. I'll be working up an appetite and will bring something that'll fit into my backpack. I might need a ride back home afterwards though. :D

Usually dont go eat out when we are there. Mostly go visit family, which everyone is related so when you visit one everyone comes by and instant potluck/party happens. I did notice that most dont leave home till its clean which means everyone is always running late, lol. But the atmostphere is very laid back so being late isnt an issue. Oh and every home has a kareokye machine. sorry spelling i know i know its always bad.

I don't think I'll be able to bring prepared food items but I can help with untinsels, drinks or that sort of stuff. If someone could let me know I'll make sure I get it there.

Hmm....never made ponsit, although I looked up a recipe and it seems easy enough to make. Though, I don't like to feed people food I haven't tried myself first, so maybe next potluck? Don't regularly eat balut (ok, never). Vincerama, you'll have to provide your own chicken/duck embryos. :D

I could do something Hawaiian for Mike though, since he missed out on the essence of "local" Hawaiian culture...FOOD! If you go to a potluck, not only do you eat tons of great food, but you talk about great food too. The food doesn't have to be Hawaiian since Hawaii is multicultural. Almost anything goes...although I must say, I have never seen balut at a potluck. :D Soooo.....Kalua Pig anyone? I can make it in a crock pot instead of the ground, plus I don't think we will need the whole pig.

70cuda, you have described the essence of the true potluck in Hawaii. Family and friends get together, bring the best food they can make (or buy), talk, sing, play, and of course, everyone is on "Hawaiian" time. Just like a BAR mtg. ;)

Ok, so I will bring Kalua Pig and homemade cookies.

I love beer as much as the next guy.... probably more, but I am thinking because it is not our facility bring alcohol probably wouldn't be appropriate.

Back