Cali Kid Corals

Denzil's 10 Gallon (Temporary) Nano Tank

Don't worry about the pods. If you see a few scurrying around you can toss them into the 10g but i wouldnt worry about it. There should be a few in your main tank already - Just ditch the HOB filters.

Piper said:
Rinse the sponges in a bucket of tank water to get the pods out. Then you can use a baster to get the pads and toss em back into the tank.
Great idea. I'll do that right now.

I'm going to run the AC30 with just the GFO in there until the phosphates go down. Hopefully at some point I can do without it but we'll see how that goes.

Coral reefer said:
Don't plan on running a reef without gfo or similar. Just dont
Well, if there's no need for it, I don't see a point in running it for a 10g.

I decided to drop the GFO in the Remora skimmer to see how things come along.

Rinse the sponges in a bucket of tank water to get the pods out. Then you can use a baster to get the pods and toss em back into the tank.

I just got the Hanna Phosphate checker and got a reading of .79 ppm. I love the ease of use of this thing with the exception of the fact that pouring the reagents from those packets can be messy. I did a cross-test with the Salifert and from what I can tell, I'm getting a reading between .25 and .5 ppm.

Not sure which test to trust, LoL.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll probably have to set it up to get it down. The only reactor I have is the dual BRS one. Maybe I'll just run the carbon chamber empty.

Just kept the lights off for the past three days and a lot of the cyano disappeared. I just hooked up the BRS dual reactor but only have GFO in the GFO chamber and nothing in the Carbon chamber. Hopefully the phosphate removal will allow the tank to thrive instead of survive. Going to take some tests sometime this weekend.

I just tested the phosphates right now after setting up the dual BRS reactor with GFO and just water in the Carbon chamber and the reading I got from the Hanna is .20 ppm. It definitely looks like it's doing the job from my last Hanna reading of .79 ppm. Loving it.

Brandie did a water change on my tank while I was at work on Thursday. I just measured the PO4 right now and I'm sitting at .18 so it looks like I'm still making progress. It could be possible that the GFO is nearing its exhaustion level as the phosphates aren't dropping in ppm nearly as fast as when I initially set it up.

Back