High Tide Aquatics

Did I shoot myself in the foot?

Hey all,

The plan for my 150 is to make it a low-light mixed coral/fish tank. As far as corals go, I was planning on keeping the following:

- Xenia - Top of the tank, closest to the lights and powerheads.
- Mushrooms - Middle of the tank
- Sun Coral - Bottom of the tank

I had planned out my lighting to just over 1 WPG. The reason behind this was to keep my electrical bill down and keep my tank low maintenance over all. As such, I ended up purchasing a 2X96 watt kit from AHSupply.

Now I just read the coral caresheet, and though I know it's not written in stone, it appears two out of the three inhabitants I want to keep require pretty intense lighting (Level 6-10). As far as my lighting goes, I'm thinking it's somewhere between Levels 0 and 3. If that's the case...did I just shoot myself in the foot? Should I get more lighting?

Thanks!

Mike

I think only the sun coral will been better lighting. I had Xenia and mushrooms in my crappily lit sump. I think sun corals are high maintenance though, I think you have to FEED them, they won't thrive with just light, especially crappy light. But I could be getting my corals mixed up.

V

http://www.melevsreef.com/suncoral.html

Melev's write up on his sun coral..read it before you buy a sun coral. Apparently I'm wrong aboiut the sun coral's need for light.

V

Aye, sun corals don't need light. I guess I can try the tank out w/ just the 192 watt fixture. If the shrooms and Xenia need more, I'll get another set.

Thanks!

I believe sun corals are very low light and some articles I have read about them actually suggest mounting them upside down and under ledges or caves.

Sun corals don't need light but they do need to be fed manually (one reason I don't like them).

As to needing intense light? While some mushrooms can take a wide variety of lighting, as can Xenia neither of them really need super strong lighting. I keep xenia on the bottom of my 24" tall tank kind of in the middle in "no mans land" where it's not under any direct light.

I personally think you'll be fine.

[quote author=phishphood link=topic=5402.msg67046#msg67046 date=1228356689]
In all honesty, you could probably get by with regular fluorescent lighting on this tank. Xenia would be pushing it though.
[/quote]

I agree, many people overlight their tanks IMO, if you are not interested in watching coral grow like weeds a lower light tank works just fine.

[quote author=itsacrispy link=topic=5402.msg67069#msg67069 date=1228364214]
Should I feed the Xenia and the mushrooms as well? If so, what do they eat?

[/quote]

Nah not really, you will need to feed a bit, but most of those animals are fine gobbling up light too.

[quote author=itsacrispy link=topic=5402.msg67072#msg67072 date=1228364647]
Thanks tube. What would be a good staple food for them, cyclopeze?
[/quote]

The only one's I'd worry about feeding are the sun corals, they really need it. Cyclopeze is fine for them along with other small meaty foods.

[quote author=itsacrispy link=topic=5402.msg67072#msg67072 date=1228364647]
Thanks tube. What would be a good staple food for them, cyclopeze?
[/quote]

or Low Maint version : Meaty pellets, targeted with a turkey baster.
cleaner, not frozen, simple.

Back