Directory of Corals

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by perculation, Apr 26, 2010.

1. perculation

perculation Guest

Wouldnt be good if...

Bar set up a directory of corals for quick reference? Nothing incredibly detailed, just the basics. Of course pics!

Any thoughts?

(so i was at a sponsers LFS today and saw these really nice Gomez Eyes. Of course i wanted to know everything i could about them, but had a hard time finding info. Thats when i thought to myself, "how cool would it be? i could check on my iphone from the store!")

((if you know anything about Gomez Eyes please PM me ;) ))

2. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

For named corals? You can use this: http://www.coralpedia.com/

never heard of Gomez Eyes and neither has Coralpedia. That is the problem with anyone naming a coral and why scientific names are truly the best.

3. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

http://coralidea.com/download.html

4. bookfish

bookfish Guest

A. gomezi?

5. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

:) All scientific names so if you want to know what a Gomez Eye is, CoralIdea is not the place to look :)

Jake feels just as strongly as I do about common names :lol:

6. perculation

perculation Guest

A. Gomezi, Ha! Jeez, im starting to feel like A. Jerko :)

I checked out that site, and you guys are right, it is pretty informative. I get it about scientific names. I understand why they are far superior, but they can also be damn discouraging. I'm all for educating people, myself most of all, but the fact is that most of time people dont use them. Making monikers is human nature. Avoiding common names all together seems impractical considering most of the corals in the DBTC are listed by common name.

Coralpedia has a lot of information, and it was a great direction to be sent in. I even saw some of our own members with posted articles on various topics. Now i want to make it clear that im not complaining, but its really not very easy to use. It surely cant be the end all be all? On top of that, the idea of a directory tied together with the knowledge in these forums sounds like a perfect match. Especially considering how intimate the knowledge would be, after all it it came from dealing with the same corals that are being swapped around.

For a person that doesnt have the extensive knowledge like some gurus around here, it would make a very practical tool for learning more. Adding another level so to speak

Not a ton of info, maybe just:

Scientific Name
    Common Names
    Hometown
    Likes/dislikes
    and of course pics.

Its just an idea, let me know what you think.

7. Thales

Thales Past President

+ everything ever :D

8. bookfish

bookfish Guest

I keep 'Corals Of The World' handy both at home and at the shop. I haven't found any other single reference that's better for identifying the corals we keep. Buy this set of books, love them, and they will give you tons of information. At the shop I try to use scientific names preferentially but I will pass on the common name when it's relevant for lineage purposes like 'GARF' purple bonsai' for example.