Reef nutrition

Dirty socks ... how do you do your laundry?

We are obviously talking about the very commonly used these days filter socks. I have a feeling there is a lot of mixed information out there on the maintenance and use of the filter socks and though it may be a good discussion topic.
I personally do use the filter sock, usually 200 micron and most of the time clean it every 2 weeks or so unless it gets dirty faster and starts overflowing. I usually take the dirty filters outside and wash the with the garden hose for 5 min until i see there is nothing else dirty coming out off them and then put it back in the tank. I do that usually few times until I see that even after washing the sock still looks dirty and thats when I use a fresh one.
Now thats what I do, what is your maintenance routine for cleaning. Do you bleach your sock? do you wash it in the washing machine? I am afraid of using bleach and also washing machines as I feel there may be soap residue on them but what do I know, I may be wrong :O.

It took me years to get the nerve to try the washing machine. However now I do it all the time.

I usually do 3-6 large socks at a time............1/4 cup bleach and run for one cycle.

Run a second cycle with nothing................let dry in the sun for a few hours. Good as new........litterally, they look BRAND NEW!

Obviously don't use soap, but it seems this is plenty of rinsing to avoid any residue as well. That's how I do it.

Do you get any bleach smell after the wash?
I did try one time to wash them with bleach but I was smelling some bleach after the wash so I was afraid to use them... i don't recall if I did a second wash on them though.

When I was using them I would wash them with bleach. I would run the load with the "Extra Rise" and "Water Plus" buttons selected on the washing machine. I would also run them through a 2nd time time on a quick wash cycle also with the water plus and extra rinse. I tossed em in the drying after that and they were fine.

~Charlie

I have not noticed much of a smell after, however I am pretty sure the bleach will evaporate? That is why I let them dry out in the sun, just to be sure. I could be wrong?

I used washing machine but no bleach or soap.......second rise in case soap/bleach left from previous washes. Still came out nice and white.

-Gregory

I've been hesitant to use bleach, but sounds like people do w/o issue. to eliminate the chance of residual bleach in the tank is the key a 2nd rinse, or air dry, or both?

CookieJar said:
I've been hesitant to use bleach, but sounds like people do w/o issue. to eliminate the chance of residual bleach in the tank is the key a 2nd rinse, or air dry, or both?

I do both cause im paranoid.

my LFS (aqua exotic) uses bleach to sterilize all rock that they get before re-seeding it to be live rock. as long as the smell is gone its safe. their live rock display is proof

Not sure about socks, but with the little carbon filter bags, I soak them overnight in
a small vinegar + tap water bucket. They look brand new afterward.
Might work well with socks, and no bleach / leftover soap.

Stopped using them. I feel the need to be cleaned at least once a week to be effecient at removing cry from the tank. Otherwise they catch stuff that continues to break down while trapped and stays inte water column. Makes things LOOK cleaner, but not removing wastes so much IMO.

Coral reefer said:
Stopped using them. I feel the need to be cleaned at least once a week to be effecient at removing cry from the tank. Otherwise they catch stuff that continues to break down while trapped and stays inte water column. Makes things LOOK cleaner, but not removing wastes so much IMO.

I don't use them regularly anymore either Mike. I do use them however if I am having a party or people over. I will throw one or two in the day before and then take it back out. Just gives that polished look. I didn't notice any change with params after I stopped using them.......in fact my phosphates went DOWN quite a bit, however it's hard to say if that is the reason or not, but it definately did not raise them.

Coral reefer said:

You are correct... but when I had my psycho-anthias they were pigs and dirty fish to keep. It was good alternative to powered mechanical filtration that would do the same thing, and easier to maintain.

-Gregory

just say NO to filter socks.

naturally you'll find more detritus in the sump area that accepts water from your tank, so keep a powerhead in there to keep it in suspension so your skimmer can pick it up.

try it. your tank will be much healthier. not changing a sock for weeks at a time is bad juju...

To continue this thread, I never have trouble with filter socks. I run barebottom so this is definitely beneficial; plus I don't have a sump full of detritus that I have to tend to (like I previously did). A little work goes a long way, because I have a cramped sump area.

I take a garden hose and blast it from inside, then invert it, then blast it again.
You can see all the gunk come out. When it washes out clear from both sides, then I know it's clean.
Then I let it dry out.

I do this when it starts to clog up. I have four or five that I rotate out, and I change the filter sock out at least once a week.

I use I think 200 micron felt socks.

Back