Reef nutrition

Dirty socks ... how do you do your laundry?

I take my sock outside and spray the baddies out of it. inside, then out. then after im satisfied with the sprayin I put it into a 3gal bucket. the bucket is filled half way with TAP(hort background...dont ask, ill tell later), then i add 1 cup NON scented, chlorinated bleach. the sock will sit for up to 3 weeks before i spray over and over to remove leftover bleach. then the fun part...I spend the next hour rinsing over and over in a bucket of RO. fill, shake, again and again. takes 10 gal a sock easy. dry in the sun and ready to roll.

I was using 200 micron filter socks and i never got over the process of cleaning them every 3-4 days, not to mention it required a hefty amount of elbow grease. Recently i have switched over to using a 100 micron mesh filter sock. The mesh doesn't catch as much crap as the felt, but it removes larger particles and the rest of the finer materials get picked out by my skimmer. The best part? simply flip and flush and its good as new! yay for laziness!

I soak with bleach for 24-48 hours in a bucket then hose them off. I'll then soak them in RO water for another 24 hours hang them and let dry. IF they smell like bleach once dried, I'll stick them back in RO bucket for another day, but it's only happened once. Doing it for a year and never have had any bleach related issues. I even did a video if you're interested

The bleach acts instantly, thats the beauty of it. most others take minutes, hours, and even days. the only problem has always been diluting it to an acceptable level.

Back