Neptune Aquatics

Discovery Day at Romberg Tiburon Center, Oct 5

If you missed the Romberg Tiburon Center coral talk in June (and most of you did miss it), here's another chance to come check out the only marine laboratory on San Francisco Bay. I'll be glad to give BAR members a private "behind the scene" tour of my lab and research aquarium room (new display tank may be up by then too!). Last year we had about 2000 people, and it gets crowded, but is really fun and great for kids and educational too!

RTC DISCOVERY DAY OPEN HOUSE - OCTOBER 5, 2008
Discovery Day is a free festival of educational fun that includes marine animal touch tanks, scientific exhibits, live music, art, and more. An annual event, our Discovery Day open house offers the public a unique opportunity to spend the day behind the scenes learning about the scientific research activities that take place at the Center.

In addition to science and art-related activities for children, the festival includes exhibits and talks by RTC faculty and students that highlight the Center's contributions to understanding and caring for the San Francisco Bay environment and beyond. Guest exhibitors include:

Bay Area Discovery Museum
Gulf of the Farallones National Marine Sanctuary
Marine Advanced Technology Education Center (MATE)
The Marine Mammal Center
Oikonos
Richardson Bay Audubon Center
SFSU Ceramics Department
Tiburon Salmon Institute
United Anglers of Casa Grande
Wilderness Way
and more to come!

Food (usually very good BBQ + other options) and beverages (including wine/beer I believe) are available for purchase. Event t-shirts will also be on sale. Free bicycle parking provided by Marin Bike Coalition.

More info here:
http://rtc.sfsu.edu/discovery_day.htm

Hope you can make it!

Jonathon (http://online.sfsu.edu/~stillmaj)

What the deuce... I don't remember seeing this when it was new. *sigh* more people need to reply to threads like this so that if I accidently "read all" it'll pop back up again.

Was a good day and my lab displayed lots of corals donated by BAR as well as picked up in the last frag swap, as well as a demonstration of how we measure photosystem performance by PAM fluorometry.

In the future, how should I advertise such events more broadly to BAR?

I don't think there was anything wrong with your advert, its just strange that a bunch of us missed it.

Might be a bug with the forum software not displaying new messages properly, might be that we're just too impatient and browse too quickly.

[quote author=Crabby link=topic=4583.msg59289#msg59289 date=1224209774]

In the future, how should I advertise such events more broadly to BAR?

[/quote]
Remind people by bumping the thread :) .. Some BAR member/me has very short memory. :-[

I did see one or two people who I think are BAR members. But, didn't get a chance to talk with them personally.

Elite, how does one "bump the thread?"

Back