Kessil

Disease name

Oodinium is the correct spelling. Should help vastly for google searches :)

National Fish Pharmacy said:
http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/skin_disorders.html
H). Tiny, dirty-whitish to yellowish dots up to 0.3mm in size appear on the skin and scale edges

Your fish are affected with Oodinium

Use: Malachite Green -or- Forma-Green. -or- Quinine Sulfate

Wikipedia said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oodinium
Oödinium (also known as Piscinoodinium) is a genus of microscopic parasitic dinoflagellates. They live off salt and fresh water fish, causing a type of fish velvet disease (also called gold dust disease). One species has also been recorded on various cnidarians [1].

The host typically develops small yellow or gold dust scattered on its head, fins and body. At this stage, the infestation is already severe. The attack usually starts at the gills at which stage it is difficult to notice. The host is irritated and often swims in fuzziness while rubbing itself against rocks. The yellowish spots are more vivid under sunlight or flashlight. It is very similar to Ichthyophthirius, though the oodinium spots are yellowish and smaller.

The life cycle of oodinium starts as a dinospore that swims in the water to look for a suitable host. As it attaches itself onto the host skin, it forms a hard shell protecting itself against the outside environment while it is eating the fish skin cells. This is the cyst stage seen as dust covering the fish skin. After few days, the cyst sinks to the bottom, freeing new generation of dinospores. And the cycle repeats. The dinospore must find a host within 48 hours, otherwise the dinospore would die.

Treatment is possible by diluting the commercially available copper salts. Free swimming dinospore is extremely vulnerable to copper. Bringing the water temperature to 30°C helps to release the dinospore from cyst.

Tons more out there. I justt did a quicky for you and didn't interject any of my thoughts (no time) :)

Thx Gresh, Theres a newby in Mexico whom, after three months of having nothing more than pristine water conditions, all parameters checked, added a to, mean TON of large fish into a considerable size tank, most of them died and was asking for HELP !! then when he was reprimanded for doing it so, after he was told to give it time.
To most people is a new tank syndrome and he's stubborn and insults people who try to help or gets too rough, he tried that on me but I think I made him look back and calm down on that aggressive behavior or so it seems; anyway, the spelling of the disease was given to me like that and all I could google was the band, metal band...
Reefing in Mexico takes some people to neanderthal times when they feel threatened.
Now I opened a new post to get people to be aware of such disease, will have to translate it but is for the good of the marine life in the end. Can only hope he learns his lesson, that is to appreciate life other than the one we are given, the one we intent to care for.

Again thank you !!

try "Formalin 3" great fish dip medicine for parasites. I use this to treat flukes, fungi & parasites. Since FW dipping wont work since this parasite lives in both salt and fresh.. meds are the only way to kill it.

Both of those products work great as dips, not sure whats available in Mex, but when I've been down there, the pharmacia has been a very nice place to visit, they are way more open minded than ours ;) so I'd imagine the same goes for other substances procured from other places....

You are right on that one Jeremy; he's treating with Cuppramine, THE WHOLE SYSTEM !!
Told him about the risks of future use as a reef tank but seems to be a stubborn, spoiled rich brat that must have his way; does not listen to people who are willing to help and keeps insulting and threatening via PM to other members; one of those cases of omnipotence; hope he gets banned from the site and gives up on the hobby.

Thx for the help guys !!

Back