Kessil

Diver's Paradise: Felicia's Scuba-Inspired 30 Gallon

Kensington Reefer said:
Oh yeah you've got photo skills!
Thanks Erin! All of those were taken with a Canon Powershot, so nothing fancy.

You commenting reminds me that I still need to get up to see your tanks sometime. I've just been crazy busy lately. Eventually I'll make it over there!

Coral reefer said:
How do you keep all those shrooms without them taking over?
Most of my mushrooms don't multiply very fast. The only ones that split really frequently are the green fuzzy mushrooms. I have to cut a couple off the rock and put them in the frag tank every so often to keep them from spreading too far. You can just slice their foot off the rocks with a scalpel.

I'm glad your Midas picks one spots on sits too. For a while, I thought something was wrong with mine. Aren't they great though?? Mine loves it when I take pictures... he tends to photobomb all the pictures I get of the other fish, LoL.

goldielocke76 said:
I'm glad your Midas picks one spots on sits too. For a while, I thought something was wrong with mine. Aren't they great though?? Mine loves it when I take pictures... he tends to photobomb all the pictures I get of the other fish, LoL.
Yep, they always find a little perch to hang out on. I think most blennies do that. I like how mine has a little cave in the rocks that is his home and that lilac monti cap is his front porch. I agree, midas blennies are great fish! They have such cute personalities and they're a really nice pop of color in the tank. Mine is kind of shy about photos but he's always out and about in the evenings around dinner time begging for food.

I worked on the DIY LED fixture for my 10 gallon frag tank tonight. I'm halfway done and will finish it all up tomorrow night. Its 14, 3W LEDs: 6 royal blue, 3 10000k (cool) white, 3 4500k (neutral) white, and 2 magenta. There will be 2 strings of LEDs powered by 2 separate dimmable drivers. I wired up the first string tonight, which was the whites and one magenta. Tomorrow I have to wire the blues and the other magenta. Here's a photo of the white LED string lit up.

IMG_0956_zpsc58e2ae9.jpg

Also, here's the diagram I made for the layout of the fixture.
FragTankLEDLayout_zps5769d18a.png

Interesting magenta. Do you have a specific link on those?
I like how they are fairly white, not overpowering in red.

I am amused the LED diagram connections. One of the constellations?
:)

rygh said:
Interesting magenta. Do you have a specific link on those?
I like how they are fairly white, not overpowering in red.

I am amused the LED diagram connections. One of the constellations?
:)
Yeah, the LED connections on this fixture are a bit of a mess instead of running in a nice loop like my other fixture. It came out that way because the drivers need a minimum of 7 LEDs on each, so 1 magenta had to be on the white string and 1 had to be on the blue string. Laying it out so that the colors were evenly distributed put them in odd positions for wiring. It would have been much neater without the 2 magentas, but I really wanted to try them out to see how they effected the color.

I went with the magentas because I know several tanks that have used Ecoxotic's magenta stunner strips and get really nice color pop from their corals. I know Ecoxotic talked about the magentas a few months ago at the BAR meeting as well. I ordered my LEDs from aquastlyeonline and compared the spectrum of their pink LEDs to Ecoxotic's magentas and they are the same, so I thought I'd try a couple in this fixture. Here is a link for the specific pink LEDs I purchased:
http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/Bridgelux-LED-3W-Pink.html

Back