Jestersix

Diver's Paradise: Felicia's Scuba-Inspired 30 Gallon

lattehiatus said:
Love the well-made videos!

Have you seen your cleaner shrimp release hatched larvae? It is an even crazier feeding frenzy. :D
Thank you!

My cleaner shrimp both have eggs all the time and I know they release hatched larvae sometimes because I see a few larvae occasionally before they get eaten by the fish. I've never actually seen them release them though. I bet the fish go crazy! It must always happen at night or in the middle of the day when I'm at work. Hopefully I'll see that sometime!

tr1gger said:
I just went through all 17 pages of this and man I am impressed. Your tank is amazing! Something I definitely will strive towards.
Thank you! I am flattered! I'm glad you enjoyed looking back through my thread!

tankguy said:
It looks relaxing which is what I like
Thanks! That's the best part of having a reef tank. After a long day I just want to relax by watching my tank. :)

I made enough money selling frags to buy an MP10ES! It ships out tomorrow so I should have it soon and that means no more bulky Koralias in my little tank. :)

Sweet! Congrats! Were you using a wavemaker already, or will the MP10 be the first random flow for the tank? I think it makes a big difference. I had never used wavemakers in the past and having the Tunze's has been a blast.

Kmooresf said:
Sweet! Congrats! Were you using a wavemaker already, or will the MP10 be the first random flow for the tank? I think it makes a big difference. I had never used wavemakers in the past and having the Tunze's has been a blast.
Currently, I have 2 Koralia 750 powerheads that are on opposite ends of the tank since its a long tank. I've got them plugged into a JBJ Oceanpulse Duo that alternately turns them on and off. You can set the time interval and I run it so that one is on for 45 seconds, then it shuts off and the other turns on for 45 seconds, and so on. Its sort of random flow, more so than if the powerheads were just always on, but its nothing fancy. I'm excited to play with the different modes on the MP10. I have a feeling it will make a big difference with my SPS corals. I also just wanted the low profile look of one MP10 compared to having 2 large Koralias. I'm a grad student, so an MP10 has definitely been outside of my budget but I've been selling frags lately to fund upgrades to the tank. The tank is now paying for itself at this point and coral sales funded the new ATO system, RODI system, heater controller, and now the MP10ES.

Kmooresf said:
I think this is how you end up owning a fish store. LOL! Nice work!
Haha, I know right? My friends keep joking that I'm going to get a PhD in engineering and then end up owning a fish store. I don't think I'll go that far, but its nice that I can fund upgrades to the tank that would be out of my budget otherwise. :)

Coral reefer said:
Craigslisting?
I list on craigslist sometimes, but most of my sales recently have been through Nano-Reefs. I've been shipping and also selling some frags locally. I'm also part of a facebook group for reefers in the bay area and they arrange a lot of sales and trades through that group. I've also sold to a few BAR members and then a couple Craigslist sales.

Thanks! So far I really like it! The big difference it made immediately was just to de-clutter the tank a lot. Since I have a small tank (30 gallons) those 2 Koralias were really noticeable and took up a lot of space. With the single low-profile MP10, my tank looks a lot more open and there is less distracting equipment. Here's a photo of how the tank looks with the 2 Koralias removed and the MP10 installed.

In terms of the actual flow, the MP10 is definitely a powerful pump. I've been having to slowly ramp the speed up over the last few days to give my tank inhabitants time to adjust. Right now I have it set on reef crest mode, which is a random mode that is supposed to simulate a high energy reef environment. It basically randomly ramps the pump up and down to generate random flow in the tank. I really like that compared to just have the 2 koralias turn on and off alternately. It seems much more natural. There are also a bunch of other settings I need to try out. Another cool feature is that I have it set with a nighttime mode. At the time I specified (10:30 pm) it automatically turns the pump down to 50% of the daytime speed for the night to give the fish a chance to relax. You can speed and time you would like for the night time mode. I have mine set for an 8 hour night. There's a similar mode called feed mode that you can turn on with the push of a button. It turns the pump down to a speed you set for an amount of time you set for when you feed the tank.

Overall, the design of the pump (low-profile and only needing 1) is my favorite thing about it. The amount of power it has and all the different settings and modes are also really great. I can't wait to see if it makes a noticeable difference with my corals. So far, I definitely recommend it!

Back