DIY Algae Reactor ideas

Discussion in 'DIY' started by kinetic, Sep 11, 2017.

1. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Ikea has som LED strips that you can change color to your like.

2. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

I don't remember exactly the red and blew also burnt out to. Stuck with these accel it's working not changing.

3. RandyC

RandyC Guest

If you find a 6" diameter pvc pipe you can use the sticky side of the led strip to stick to the inside of the pvc pipe. No need for a fan. LEDs are cheap enough to replace if they burn out in 6-12 months.

4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

I mean you can get the reactor cheap from Avast, not the LEDs, since you did say DIY nothing says you need to source your parts from one source :)

kinetic likes this.
  5. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

I have a brand new set of the Marine Depot LED's still in package that I can trade or sell reasonably cheap.

kinetic likes this.
  6. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

OK, I think I'm going to try it.

For the sake of already having 1/2" mur-lok tubing on hand, and having another canister filter already, I was thinking of getting the BRS deluxe:
    https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-gfo-carbon-reactor-deluxe1.html

It's BRS' deluxe reactor, which has the clearer versions of the canister and cartridge. Will that be too much diffused light still? I'm thinking it could be better to find a reactor that has a tube down the middle like the aquamaxx or avast?

7. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

Those rodi containers are not good reactors. Especially for algae my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. RandyC

RandyC Guest

BRS reactor have pretty thick walls, so not sure how much light will penetrate through.

kinetic likes this.
  9. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

I have a avast marine ozone medium reactor that has a small leak since it's pressure use with ozone. You can have it free. It shouldn't leak on none pressure use. You can also reacrylic cement it.

kinetic likes this.
  10. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

Also, What if I got 4 heatsinks, and made a box around it?

Here's an idea:

Aquamaxx Reactor:
    https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...ate_Reactors-AquaMaxx-UJ5311-FIFRISPR-vi.html

It has a 4" diameter body that's 11.5" tall.

Aluminum heatsinks:
    Get 4 aluminum heatsinks that are 4.85" wide, and fix them into a box around the body with the LED's attached to the box of heatsinks. This will give about .42" of space between the reactor and heatsink.
    http://www.heatsinkusa.com/4-850-wide-extruded-aluminum-heatsink/

Not sure how to attach the heatsink to the reactor, but if the base of the reactor sticks out enough, maybe I could just epoxy it into place.

11. RandyC

RandyC Guest

kinetic likes this.
  12. RandyC

RandyC Guest

I think you're over thinking it. ;) @scuzy been using his for a while without an issue. ive been running mine for a week, but it doesn't seem to get too hot. Barely warm to touch....40w of power isn't that much. If you're worried, just put a fan on it. Don't think heatsinks are needed.

13. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

The LEDs don't get hot at all.

14. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

I probably am overthinking it... but it sounds fun to put a heatsink around it.

15. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

Should I purchase a BioPellet or regular Carbon/GFO reactor for this? I'm not entirely sure what a biopellet reactor does differently...

16. RandyC

RandyC Guest

Some biopellet reactors have what looks like spray nozzle at the end of the input pipe to create better flow to get pellets moving. I'd suggest just getting a fluidized media reactor (GFO/Carbon). I think the avast MR10 is a good size for the 170; it holds a gallon a water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kinetic likes this.
  17. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

Thanks Randy!

18. RandyC

RandyC Guest

I went to find a white 6" pvc pipe to reflect back any light spill over, but I couldn't find any at the local hardware stores. I did find 6" pvc couplers though which I thought was weird they had the couplers, but no pipe. Anyway, I stacked two of them on top of each other and most of the light doesn't bleed anymore.

Here's 6 nights worth of growth.

IMG_0464.JPG

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  19. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

Home depot has a large 6 in PVC it's a small section like 24"

20. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member