Cali Kid Corals

DIY Foam Rock Wall Build Thread

nanoguy

Supporting Member
I am currently working on a new 30 gallon setup and thought I'd post a DIY thread for the foam rock wall that I put together for the tank. I don’t have pics for every step but do have the key ones. I’ll try to keep the decriptions as simple as I can so it will be an easy read.

1) Purchase egg crate from a local home improvement store (I bought mine at Lowes)
2) Take measurements of the inside of the tank and decided how wide/tall you want the rock wall structure to be
3) Tie strap the egg crate together and cut out the desired shape with wire cutters

eggcrate.jpg

(TIP) After cutting there will be a bunch of left over sharp chunks of the egg crate still attached to the main piece. This stuff can scratch you up pretty bad while you work/move the wall around so try to remove as much of it as possible. To clean it up, use a pair of pliers, grab as much as you can, bend and snap off.

cratecleanup1.jpg

cratecleanup2.jpg

cratecleanup3.jpg

4) After cutting, test fit the egg crate in the tank to see if you are happy with the shape and over all look

crate_testfit2.jpg

5) Tie strap your rocks to the egg crate structure. I used a masonry bit to drill holes where I needed to for the tie straps

rocks_strapped.jpg

(TIP) Start with the base and work your way up. Turn/flip the rock while test fitting to get the desired look you are after. When you are happy with your selected rock along with placement, strap it down and move onto the next piece. Use as much rock as possible or your structure will float like a boat when the tank is filled with water.

6) When all the rocks are in place you will need to foam the wall/gaps. Prior to foaming, the structure will be fairly flimsy but after the foam is applied and has cured it will become much more rigid. I used “Great Stuff” foam (red can) I purchased at home depot.

greatstuff.jpg

(NOTE) I strongly recommend you wear latex gloves while foaming. This stuff is super sticky and very difficult to wash off.

7) Rock wall foamed and trimmed. The foam dries within a couple of hours and can be trimmed off.

foamwall.jpg

(TIP) Use a pair of needle nose pliers to trim/shape the foam…..just grab, twist and rip off. You can also use your fingers to pinch and pull it off but I found it to be difficult to do until most of it was done with the pliers. I used a long bread knife to cut off the excess that squirted out on the back of the crate.

(NOTE) I encountered a problem when I foamed the wall and did my first test fit in the tank. The weight and strapping of the rocks caused the egg crate to sag and twist a bit pulling it out of vertical alignment. This created a large gap between the back of the crate and the glass. I had to build a jig and re-foam the gaps. You will need to tape up the jig with packaging tape so the structure will not bond to the wood or in my case, the mdf board.

rockwallgap.jpg

foamed1.jpg

8) The last and final step is to apply an epoxy finishing resin to the foam and cover it with sand or crushed coral.

- purchase a bunch of cheap paint brushes (about a $1 each at HD or Lowes)
- mix the two part epoxy and paint onto the foam making sure to get into all cracks and crevices
- sprinkle with sand/crushed coral and let it cure
- Do some final touch up for spots missed (I waited until the next day)

(NOTE) The sand will stick to the resin and help blend in the foam. It will also protect it from the UV emitted by the lights (unless you use pond foam which I’ve read is UV resistant). I highly recommend the use of pacers “z-poxy” finishing resin. It’s thin and much easier to work with then others I’ve tested.

z_poxy.jpg

9) My completed rock wall

rockwallcomplete1.jpg

Yanno every time I see people do this I think to myself, man talk about a nightmare of a mess, it won't look good, and in fact at the point where you spray it on it doesn't look good, and some leave it as is and wait for coraline, so it looks like the pilsbury doughboy exploded in your tank in the mean time.

However that last bit of finishing touch you did? Holy crap that blends in naturally well. Bravo, good job!

sfsuphysics said:
Yanno every time I see people do this I think to myself, man talk about a nightmare of a mess, it won't look good, and in fact at the point where you spray it on it doesn't look good, and some leave it as is and wait for coraline, so it looks like the pilsbury doughboy exploded in your tank in the mean time.

However that last bit of finishing touch you did? Holy crap that blends in naturally well. Bravo, good job!

Same here.

I'm very impressed :)

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I should have water in the tank in a couple of weeks. I'm still working on the stand. I actually have to do a little more foaming to hide the overflow box but I can only do it when the structure is in the tank. I will start a build thread for this setup soon.

Elite said:
That looks really nice. Do you worry about the foam breaking down later on?

DirtyDrew said:
the foam and epoxy wont put harmful "chemicals" into the water?

It has definitely crossed my mind several times. I would say that over 95% of the foam is covered with the epoxy resin. It is hard as a rock now. There couple of small spots I couldn't get to inside the egg crate but it's not exposed to any light. The foam is chemically inert when fully cured along with the epoxy resin. From what I've researched, this is the same way that public aquariums do most of their "pseudo" rock walls.

DirtyDrew said:
the foam and epoxy wont put harmful "chemicals" into the water?

Neither should leak anything harmful. If your worried just run some carbon for a couple months to be sure. FWIW I helped on a 1/4 million dollar install using 30+ gallons of resin in the tank for the reef back. 10 years later zero issues.

Jimmy,
You never cease to amaze me!
Is that a DIY nitrate reactor I see in one of those pics?
Nice job. As always. ;)

JAR said:
Jimmy,
You never cease to amaze me!
Is that a DIY nitrate reactor I see in one of those pics?
Nice job. As always. ;)
Thanks Jon. Yes, it's the nitrate reactor. I didn't hook it up yet. I did a couple of large water changes after I made it and since then my nitrates are undetectable.

GreshamH said:
Neither should leak anything harmful. If your worried just run some carbon for a couple months to be sure. FWIW I helped on a 1/4 million dollar install using 30+ gallons of resin in the tank for the reef back. 10 years later zero issues.

That's good to know Gresham. I'm going to take your advice and run the tank with some carbon for a month or 2 before plumbing it into my main systems sump.

Back