Reef nutrition

DIY glass rimless build

They have plug in electric versions of those type of caulking guns too, they really are useful if you're doing a lot of work and want a nice even pressure (bead line).

Nice build, Ian. Reminded me of your 120P ADA. Do you still have that tank?

BTW - ive never seen an Elos tank...can someone explain the whole floating pane thing? Ive seen it mentioned a couple times.

sfsuphysics said:
They have plug in electric versions of those type of caulking guns too, they really are useful if you're doing a lot of work and want a nice even pressure (bead line).

I've seen cordless, I believe Ridgid? @ HD, to me seem on the heavy side if you do a lot of caulking; nice toys.

It's looking real good Ian.........must be a fun project. I've always wanted to try to build my own tank. You mentioned that you pulled off the masking tape too slow. How did it mess up the seam?

the tape is a mask. The silicone dried a bit because he didn't remove the mask soon enough. This caused bonding of the silicone to the mask.

I see......I thought Ian ment the "speed" in which he pulled the masking tape off. So what is the work time for the silicone? I'm going to guess that it will skin up pretty quick?

Sorry, no more progress on the tank yet. Been really busy. The skin time is a few minutes if left alone. You must pull the tape right after swiping the silicone.

Ian, I've made a few calls to get prices on glass and when I mentioned only wanting starfire glass on 3 sides I was told it would stand out .... or contrast, I forget the exact word he used (but in a bad way). What do you think, is there any concern there? Oh and that is a great price for glass.

xcaret said:
Levi you will notice the clarity of the glass and will love the low iron/starfire
Oh I totally agree. My question is with 3 sides being starfire and 1 side regular, can you tell they are different types of glass?

You can but if the 4th side is the back you will not notice that it is different. So yes get three sides in starfire. There is no need to get the fourth starfire unless you are viewing it from four sides.

Cool, thanks Ian. So basically you can only tell if you look at the edge of the glass from the sides since the back is usually blacked out anyway. That's what I figured.

Back