High Tide Aquatics

DIY hanging light fixture

Hey all,

This is only about 25% DIY, xcaret (Mario) actually helped me with most of this. That said, I was wondering if you guys could give me some constructive criticism with my hanging light fixture. This is the first time I've every done anything like this, so please be gentle :)

Here's a shot of the whole tank with the new light fixture:

here's a shot of the hanging mechanism, close up. I was wondering if you guys saw an issue with the way I just wrapped the steel line. I figure the tensions would be strong enough so that it wouldn't slide around. I tested it, and it seems quite sturdy. I wrapped the remaining steel line around the bar and taped it off with painter's tape, so it would act as a barrier if the light did start sliding:

Here's a shot of the bracing in the back. I use 2 braces per conduit, but I plan on using more when I get off work tomorrow. That said, do you guys think 2 braces per conduit is enough? Or should I take down the light for the night?

Hi !

It's looking good. Two braces should be enough but spaced more, one on bottom and one on top, makes it more stable one in the middle helps too. You can also trim more conduit on the horizontal part, few inches off the center of the tank so it does not protrude more than the width of the light fixture, few inches will allow in case you decide to instal a fixture with more bulbs. Rubber caps can fit on the ends of the conduit, I had a hard time finding black at HD/Lowes. I had fixed mine on the wall and held really good on the plaster.
...have to drop off my kid at school bye!

Hey thanks Mario. You've been a great help to me. I'll stop at HD tonight and get some more wood screws, I ran out last night :p. Is it a problem if I don't trim off the horizontal part of the conduit? Now that it's in place, I'm very hesitant about moving anything around.

Thanks again,
Mike

I would trim the conduit to have better looks than protruding beyond the Tek fixture. When I made mine I measured to the center of the tank so the light fixture could be centered too then when it looked right just chopped off the remaining conduit.
I'll be doing some work on the canopy and got already a nice Tek fixture 6 bulb, have the legs and DIY a splash shield for it.
the Tek will sit on top via mounting legs, I'm tempted to hang it again just for the looks.
Post pictures of the progress.

Why is it so tall? Is that just for adjustability? Otherwise I'd cut it down so that the the horizontal parts were closer to the light fixture.

Also, why does it look like you are using a .45 cal cartridge on your hanger...?

V

Haha, I guess it does look like a bullet. That's actually the anchor for the mounting screw. I didn't know how else to hang the light, so I just wrapped the anchor around the bar. The tension is holding it steady, but I'm open to suggestions on a more stable way of hanging it.

As for the height, I would like the option of raising the lights so I can work on the tank. At the max height, I can stick my head underneath the lights w/o bumping into them.

Mike

Actually, Xcaret (Mario) made them for me, so you might want to check with him. I believe the supplies needed are:
- 3/4" or 1" EMT conduits (available at HD or Lowes)
- An EMT conduit bender (also available at HD/Lowes)
- A way to stabilize them. I attached the conduits to my stand with 4 conduit straps, each requires 2 wood screws

If you're like me and not the handiest individual, I'd check w/ Mario to see if he can make one for you. He did a great job on mine and it was well worth the price!

Instead of wrapping the wire around and taping it off (ghetto!), try this:
crimp.jpg

Cable crimps are really easy to do. There should also be a U-bolt version (not sure if it goes down to a small enough diameter though) that allows you to unscrew and adjust the size of the hoop).

edit: hokay, maybe I'm blowing smoke. Can't find it on google images with a quick search. And we all know if it's not on google then it doesn't exist :-X

Mike it's easy to find the cable and the little things as shown on Haeun's image I don't have the name for those parts right out of my head and the eye bolts fit the Tek just fine, I haven't worked on the Tek fixture to hang it since I found the legs.

Back