Cali Kid Corals

DIY Kalkwasser reactor

I just finished my DIY Kalkwasser reactor. I haven't hooked it up in system unit but I already tested it for leaks.

DSCN2376.jpg

DSCN2377.jpg

Hi Elite,
It is cast. But I think extruded might work as long as you don't use is as a calcium reactor -- pressurized.

Hi Paradox,
I think I spend about ~$100 on materials. A commercial comparable size would cost about ~$250.

So what is the point of a reactor again? Sorry, I feel like a newbie sometimes with all these things in a reef tank.

For instance, what's different from this, as opposed to making a batch of kalkwasser and periodically pouring it in?

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4231.msg50963#msg50963 date=1217887083]
So what is the point of a reactor again? Sorry, I feel like a newbie sometimes with all these things in a reef tank.

For instance, what's different from this, as opposed to making a batch of kalkwasser and periodically pouring it in?
[/quote]

That's essentially what it does, but it's more automated. The pump stirs up the kalk and a dosing pump moves the kalkwasser into the tank.

Plus it looks damn sweet. Nice craftsmanship!

PS. I mean, that's how I understand kalk reactors in general. Please correct me if I'm wrong, xinumaster!

With a reactor you can put a larger amount of kalk because any new water will get saturated as the pump turns on. Being enclosed, it would not have to rely on not having the seal only be the hard film you get when manually mixing up a batch of kalk. With manually mixing a batch, the amount is limited to your container size. With a reactor, you can have enough kalk to saturate 50-100 gallons of rodi.

So a reactor will require less maintenance and space.

Thanks for the comment, Pixel.

With the kalk reactor I don't have to manually mix the media, then wait for the undisolved to seatle down at the bottom before scoping out the kalk. Basically, all I need to do now is add the calcium hydroxide media in the chamber then forget about it for a couple months.

Where is your output coming from? I can see your input is near the bottom.

I should post pics of my ancient, cumbersome and ugly kalk-reactor as well...so people can compare the glory of your well make one with the frankenstein mixed that I made. Also, I could them point out the mistakes I made so people don't repeat them.

V

It is on the top. You can see it o[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=4231.msg51905#msg51905 date=1218484773]
Where is your output coming from? I can see your input is near the bottom.
[/quote]

It is on the top. You can see it on the second picture.

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=4231.msg51907#msg51907 date=1218485143]
Looks nice Perry. I would like mine in blue please :)
[/quote]

Sorry, bryant. I run out of tube already. ;D

OK, I see it. Cool!

One problem I had with my mixer/reactor is that I made it over 4 feet tall (!!) and I tap the output at the top and the input is via a peristaltic medical pump that pumps water in in the bottom third, right between the mixing pump's input and output. My theory was that I would put new RO water in the mixed area and take saturated kalkwasser from the top of the mixer where it doesn't have any precipitate in it. The problem was then that when bubble sneaked into the mixer, they gathered at the top near the output and really added pressure to the input pump...meanwhile, the input pump has to fight against like 3 feet of head caused by the height of the reactor!

Mine is not active at the moment, but when I do get around to using it again, I'll swap the input and output lines so that the pump doesn't have to fight against the head pressure and the output actually gets a boost from it. Of course this means that my fresh RO water is entering the top of the reactor where no mixing is done and the effluent is in the cloudy section of the reactor where cloudy kalk will enter the tank. I could of course rig up some secondary "chamber" to let the effluent go into and overflow into my sump...like a settling pond sort of idea.

In anycase, I used my reactor as a top off device, though it was a "dead-reckoning" top off and not automatic at all...just guessing at evaporation rate.

V

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=4231.msg51924#msg51924 date=1218493867]
Mine is not active at the moment, but when I do get around to using it again, I'll swap the input and output lines so that the pump doesn't have to fight against the head pressure and the output actually gets a boost from it.
[/quote]

I'm not sure that would help you. The head pressure is due to the height that the pump has to push the water, not the width of the column. The head pressure to 4' is the same regardless of of whether it's a 4" wide reactor chamber or a 1/4" wide airline tube.

Personaly I think it's the best DIY reactor Iv'e seen yet....................OK. what are you going to call your company?...........Xinumaster reactor Inc.?...............Perry's Reef supply?....... Got Kalk? ........Somebody stop me :D.

Thanks for the comment, Mark. I think I get paid more just seating in a cubicle surfing the net.;D

Actually I need to change the pump orientation. The pump is not mixing the media good enough because the output of the pump is at the top instead of at the bottom where the media is.

[quote author=xinumaster link=topic=4231.msg51932#msg51932 date=1218495634]
..... I think I get paid more just seating in a cubicle surfing the net.;D
[/quote]

That used to be my job. I have to work my a$$ off now >:( ..

Back